Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Getagrip

Tying Egg Flies

My first post so please take it easy on me. I am going to start doing some Egg Patterns and was wondering what would be the best hook/size to tie them on. I live in Colorado and will be using these in the hunt for Brown and Rainbow Trout. Have only been tying for a few months now and it has been a great way to pass some time now that I have finally retired.

Thanks

Steve

To be realistic, this pattern will need to be ties on a 10/0 hook.

For those tiny fish egg patterns, some of the Northern guys will have to answer.

Welcome to the site, friend.

Never mind Mike, He's crazy! Honestly though, your best bet is to just go to You Tube and look at as many egg patterns as you want.

I like size 12 heavy wire scud hooks with eggs size 5-6mm for areas with largeish fish spawning (salmon and steel head) and a size 14 for eggs in the 3-4mm range(average size browns and rainbows). I will admit I don't often fish with eggs but I have tied a bunch for others based on their extensive experience and guidance and the eggs Ive tied have landed fish. I am sure you will get more detailed guidance from others with more experience but I figured I'd contribute my two cents.

Never mind Mike, He's crazy!

Well ... I don't know if I agree with "crazy", as that has some negative associations. I mean, I've never been a caretaker at the Overlook Hotel, or anything like that!

You won't find much in the way of Salmon or steehead in Colorado, but all fish do spawn. For most of my "trout" sized eggs I would go with a 14 scud hook. If the streams have suckers, try some sucker spawn patterns.

Thanks folks for the information. Looks like a size 14 scud hook is a good starting point. For now will be tying them in size 14 and will try some done in 18. U tube does have a good many video's to show tying the pattern and will get to work on getting the use of Mcflyfoam down. Just finished up doing some Zebra Midges for my son. Will have to post some pictures to have folks evaluate them and let me know what I can do to make them better.

Steve

As easy as they look to tie, I have found them to be one of the most frustrating patterns to master. Plan on tying quite a few before you are happy with the results. But then, you might have beginner's luck. Getting them the right size consistently AND perfectly round is not as easy as they look.

Heres a 60 sec. video I tied awhile back, on using McFly foam, but you could use glo bug yarn as well.

The tip I will share is if tying smaller eggs you should 'peel' away 1/2 or more of the hank. then lay it on your thigh and roll it forward to compress the hank before tying in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMBBKKFQgKQ

I don't use them for trout...just salmon and steelhead. They will probably work for trout...I've just never tried them before.

As easy as they look to tie, I have found them to be one of the most frustrating patterns to master. Plan on tying quite a few before you are happy with the results. But then, you might have beginner's luck. Getting them the right size consistently AND perfectly round is not as easy as they look.

This was true for me for a long time, then I discovered McFly Foam. SO much easier to get round eggs with that stuff than Glo Bug yarn. Curved scissors help, too.

Just curious how many do use egg patterns to fish with?

Well, speaking for steelhead anglers in the Great Lakes region, I'd say just about all of us. :) The salmon make their spawning runs before the steelhead do in the fall, and the salmon eggs are in the river all winter and spring. They are one of the most important food sources for the steelhead and trout in the rivers through those seasons. Once it starts to warm up in the spring, steelhead will make the switch to nymphs, but from October through March or April, eggs are where it's at up here.