Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

first attempt at a royal coachmen wet fly

Sorry about that. Nature's Spirit is the brand you want. I just ordered a bunch from them this past month to boot.

Thanks for the clarification. I just started tying this past March and I'm planning to tackle the royal coachman this winter. Also, I'm interested in what brands are the best in general terms and by category. For example, I've noticed that Hareline is generally better than Wapsi, or at least for pheasant tails. I have no experience with Nature's Spirit but I know it is sold by Performance and I've been told Performance sells top quality materials.

RC if I may add my thoughts. My Grandfather taught me to tie flies 58 years ago and I've used a number of materials since then. Now I buy dubbing material from the craft/discount stores where I can examine the yarn first for color and texture and usually select sale items. A roll of knitting yarn is good for at least 500 flies and I picked up a beautiful fiery brown color the other day which was on sale for less than $3.00 including tax. You can pay more than that for a fraction of an ounce of material from a fly tying supplier and the stuff is made by the same company.

I will pay extra for embossed metal tinsel or genuine silk floss but for the usual stuff I don't think brand names matter.

Oh, I forgot you mentioned feathers. I get duck feathers from local hunters by swapping some flies and find the wing feathers from individual birds match up much better than what I can buy.