Fly Tying
bighornbuster

Powered vises

I was talking to a buddy the other day who told me of a guy in Nova Scotia who had rigged up a DanVise to be powered by an electric drill. He said the guy demonstrated it using a NorVise bobbin and it actually worked fairly well. Just out of interest, have any of you ever seen or heard of such a thing? If so, pictures would be of interest. It is always amazing what types of innovations or contraptions fly tiers can come up with!

Very interesting, are we talking about one rotary vice that is spinning the hook while you hold the bobbin, or possibly one vice holding the hook stationary while a rotary vice is holding a bobbin being spun around the hook from electric power? I thought about this once with an old pencil sharpener but I don't have a rotary vice so I threw the sharpener away. Hmm... you would also want to change the gearing so you don't snap the thread...I could see a use for an electric rod tying vise but you could use a slow going lathe.... very very interesting sir. Time for sleep.

Ken Newton (who makes the fly tying tools sold under his name) makes a vice for tube flies that uses a sewing machine motor with a foot controller. Sorry I've no pictures. Having seen him tie on it, it is very fast.

Also I have heard of vices being made from old treadle operated sewing machines. Still human powered, but not in the usual way. Sort of fits this category I think.

Cheers,

C.

Also I have heard of vices being made from old treadle operated sewing machines. Still human powered, but not in the usual way. Sort of fits this category I think.

There was a commercial fly tying operation in Idaho in the '40s and '50s, that used "sewing machine vises" that were run by a treadle. One of the tiers, Audrey Joy, moved to Portland Oregon and tied for many years at a department store, using one of the treadle vises. It was a little before my time, but I've heard many stories from people who watched her tie at the store.

There were treadle operated vices used before that in Spain. Tying flies on needles with silk and Coq de Leon. After the fly was tied the needle was formed into the hook. There is a name for the range of flies, but I don't recall it. It was in a Taff Price book (International Guide) that went up in smoke with the rest of my books. Maybe someone else can add more details.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks fellows. Having seen the photo of the treadle machine in the museum in West Yellowstone, I remembered seeing it before. That probably is the most sensible of the powered vises. It is an interesting concept and clearly demonstrates the unending creativity of those who engage in this hobby , craft or trade as the case may be. I still want to google the powered vise.

Speed tying....interesting.

Save time in the first and last step at a minimum. Improve dubbing time too.

I used a water-cooled vise for many years, until the radiator blew.

(kidding)

Sooo after the radiator blew ... did you change up to an alcohol cooled vise?

mike - no, too expensive. I went to a forced air, diesel system. Seems to work ok, but I have lots of vise anti-freeze sitting in the corner. And the forced air system is much louder, so I'm looking into a way to tie it in to the central air in the house.

I'm thinking your forced air system would mostly be HOT air ... not so good for cooling. Tying in to the A/C system of the house might be a good idea, provided the flow direction is AWAY form the work area.