Fly Tying
NHMatt

Grey Ghost Critique

Looking for some critique. New to tying so I'm sure it isn't the most polished fly. I'm mainly concerned with 'fish-ability'. Will it cast, swim, retrieve well enough?

greyghost_zpsce57971b.jpg

The pattern I followed called for narrow tinsel (don't have any) and jungle cock (can't afford it), so I know those components are off. I ended up using starling for the eyes.

All comments - the nice ones - will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks. I used Golden Pheasant in the throat and under the wing. They don't show up well because I tend to err on the light side with that stuff and my camera lighting is awful. I definately need to go a little heavier with the crest for it to have any effect.

Thanks again for your comments.

Good job. Looks like you hit all the elements.

Your hook appears to be no larger than a #8 4XL. A larger hook will provide the longer chassis that makes tying these a bit less frustrating. If classic streamers are of particular interest to you, and if you don't have a reason for selecting a small, short shank hook, I'd really suggest investing in another hook style and size. Mustad Signature L87 is affordable at ~$5 per 25ct, and Daiichi 2340 are just a fraction more.

The wing will have the most influence on how the fly fishes. Selecting, matching and mounting the paired feathers can make the difference between a fly that swims correctly and one that rolls in the current. Your wing looks fine to me from this angle, but you'd really need to examine the fly from more than this one angle to be sure of anything.

Good job. Looks like you hit all the elements.

Your hook appears to be no larger than a #8 4XL. A larger hook will provide the longer chassis that makes tying these a bit less frustrating. If classic streamers are of particular interest to you, and if you don't have a reason for selecting a small, short shank hook, I'd really suggest investing in another hook style and size. Mustad Signature L87 is affordable at ~$5 per 25ct, and Daiichi 2340 are just a fraction more.

The wing will have the most influence on how the fly fishes. Selecting, matching and mounting the paired feathers can make the difference between a fly that swims correctly and one that rolls in the current. Your wing looks fine to me from this angle, but you'd really need to examine the fly from more than this one angle to be sure of anything.

I've whipped up a few more and started testing them with tippet in a bucket of water to see how they drop in and track. Obviously isn't an exact test but they seem to be doing well so far. Thanks for the comments.

testing or tracking any fly in a bucket/bowl/glass of water is really useless in my opinion.

it doesn't replicate the actual moving stream/river condition where the fly will be used

As someone who's tied a few Gray Ghosts, i would advise you to walk before you run. You asked for critique so here it is...

THis fly pattern has a lot of elements that require a certain amount of 'nous' to get them all on a hook in a manner that will give you a quality fly that will hold up when fished, and if eaten by a fish.

There are a lot of things to consider when tying a fly, and those include fly proportions, of the materials involved (tinsels and hook for example) as well as how to get the wings formed and set that they will permit correct tracking of the fly in the water. I highlighted tinsels because there is a reason narrow tinsel is specified, and the hook should be a long (6xl-8xl) hook.

Its hard to hear negative criticism sometimes or even all the time, but i'm going to give it to you no matter what.

The reason is, that telling you well done, the fly looks good is just a lie. It might hold together, but it is not a good fly.

The rangeley style streamers often were designed to imitate smelt and bait fish - this one looks like neither.

You say you are new to tying, and by tying this fly you've attempted something extremely complicated for a beginner....

Take some time to learn to tie simpler flies, learn proportions and gain some material handling and tying skills.

If there is one thing I despise it is the artifical 'smoke blowing' that goes on via internet forums - it helps noone, particularly beginners.

If you want some real help, find someone (or ask me - publically or via pm) for tips on how to improve your fly tying. Watch some videos on youtube.

Davie McPhail, Tim Camisa, Tightline Productions all have quality videos online for free where you can find out how to do a particular technique or tie a particular fly.....use these resources

Please, I invite you to ask for help, its the only way to learn unless you're willing to try to figure everything out over a few years like I did.

And finally, in case you think i'm talking through my hat when I critique your fly, this is one of many gray ghosts i've tied and subsequently fished.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

There is an entire forum dedicated to classic streamers (and wet flies)

Classicflytying.com - you log in details for this site will get you logged in there too - its sister site of this forum/