Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

October flies from the bench

Hi, What is the red hackle? looks like Whitings red CDL?

The hackle is from Foxtail, rooster neck

sure is! the seatrout was jumping everywhere last night! not one of them wanted to hook though.....

Sea Trout! What part of the world are you in?

I'm in Norway :)

Thanks fisherboy for clearing that up. I can see why a brown trout would be interested in that fly, but a weakfish probably not.

I don't know, you might could get a weakfish to eat it, and maybe some spotted seatrout too.

Fresh from the vise, 20cm green and flashy tube for pikes

Now that's a COOL looking fly indeed...Like the colors!!!!

Heading to New Orleans in November for big redfish in the marsh. The water is not always clear so dark flys are the order of the day and they have to be large as the guide says.

post-18342-0-76228000-1412556208_thumb.jpg

Klinkhamers, Pinkhamers, and a selection nymphs and bugs to use as "Dinks"

The Klinks and Pinks are tied on Daiichi 1167 hooks size 16 (Smaller than size 20 Klinkhamer Extreme hooks).

KandD_0001_zpsa47528d5.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Simon, mine two until I moved north. I will get down south for some grayling this year. Really miss them living here.

Cheers,

C.

PUMPKINBUN1_zps3aa9ad54.jpg

PUMPKIN BUNNY – TMC 5262 or 5263, #6 – #10…

DESERTDACEGRP_zps78868771.jpg

DESERT DACE(s)…

FALLOWENSPKG_zps89c49b22.jpg

PLACE of the DACE...

PT/TB

All this discussion about the spotted seatrout, Cynoscion nebulosus (also known some places as the squeateague) should remind us why scientists use a Latin name system originated by Karl Linnaeus. Common names are usually misleading, referring to completely different species in various locations. When people originally emigrated from the UK to the Americas, they found a bird that looked like the English Robin, and started calling it a robin. The American "robin" is really a thrush. There are as many examples of misnamed plants and animals as there are plants and animals! For a fish example, there are "breams" found all over the world. Common and scientific names accepted by ichthyologists in the U.S. and designated by the American Fisheries Society, but in reality ichthyologists don't use those names in their scientific literature since there are too many common names that refer to multiple species, and thus the literature would mean something different to people in various locations.

PT/TB

Hey PT, I really like the Mutha of Pearl and Pumpkin Bunny you posted. Nice patterns. What material is around the heads?

PT/TB

Hey PT, I really like the Mutha of Pearl and Pumpkin Bunny you posted. Nice patterns. What material is around the heads?

NB,

Crosscut rabbit strip, put in a dubbing loop, then snipped off the hide and wrapped forward...

PT/TB