Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishoutawattta

Copper John's tail

All,

Does everyone use Brown Biots for the tails on Copper Johns, or brown hackle for the wings, regardless of wire color? I seem to remember seeing some of the flies with Black biots and wings? Am I mis-remembering?

Thanks!

Gary

Match the hatch for color, that's what I've always had luck with. Just like any other pattern. Don't be afraid to experiment. Let the fish be the judge.

Now that I have my copy of Barr Flies in front of me, I can tell you what John Bar recommends.

He uses black biots for the Chart., Blue, Black, Zebra (black and silver wire), Silver, Pink, and Green Copper Johns.

He uses white biots for the Wine Copper John.

He uses brown biots for the Red, Copper Brown, and of course the Orignal Copper Johns.

Thanks, all. I appreciate it!

Musky . . . Charlie Craven's book was what I was remembering! But I don't own the book (check it out of the library a lot!). But he was clearly channeling John Barr's fashion sense!

Gary

Charlie Craven's book is $25 on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Cravens-Basic-Fly-Tying/dp/0979346029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412212065&sr=8-1&keywords=charlie+craven ), if your interested. I have both Barr Flies and Charlie Craven's book. Charlie Craven is the one who tied the flies in John Barr's book, too. Recipes for the Copper John are the same.

use whatever color biot you have on hand. if it doesn't offend the fish then who really even cares

tyers preference

When we tie for a customer we use what they request but when we tie for our own fishing we usually use whatever is left over or is readily available. Take care & ...