Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutbum11

Floating line for Pike

I'm a little confused by all the various tapers out there and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on a reasonably priced fly line for pike and bass. I will be putting the line on an 8wt. I already have a full sinking line but would like a floating line as well. I will be casting fairly large flies with it so I am assuming that the line should have a heavy head to throw those larger flies.

Any info would be great!

Thanks!

If you buy a #8 line the head will all weigh the same within a narrow grain window. Its where the weight is put that makes the difference. All the lines sold as bass or pike taper will have a thick front end with short belly and short steep rear taper. This powers your line into wind and turns over heavier flies.

A lot of salt water lines also have similar profiles for cutting through wind, just make sure you get one for the right temp.

Rio pike or Rio bass have a lot of followers here in uk. Remember also that huge flies are not necessary to take pike and often just tire and annoy the angler. Flies of 6inch are more than bjg enough although pike will key into forage sizes at different times of the year. Surface flies and poppers with floating lines will take loads and be heaps of fun.

I have recently purchased an SA line that has a very short front taper, heavy head that tapers slowly to the rear. It is supposed to be good at fighting the wind and casting big flies. However I don't consider it a moderately priced line at $85. Walmart ( how I hate to recommend them ) sells a Std WF floating line for $20. I am sure it will do an acceptable job. I think they also have a bass taper for around $25 that would probably do a little better job. In the spring and fall the floating line will probably be a better choice. In the middle of the summer you will find them deeper.

Air Flo Bass and Musky lines work very well for me bass fishing here in Florida. Very nice casting line, but they aren't cheap. Look at the Bass Pro Bass taper line, 40 bucks and does a good job as well.

i use a SA mastery pike musky 10wt line on my 9wt. it has a short taper and makes casting huge flies easier. going with the heavier line also made a huge difference when casting bigger flies

Listening to all the marketing BULLSH*T in fishing these days, someone would be led to believe they need an entirely separate rod, reel, line, and leader for each and every type, style, and even SIZE of fly they want to use!!!

Wasn't it nice when we would just go out and buy a WF8F line and be happy with it? With a line which balances with your rod, you should be able to adapt your abilities around whatever variables you encounter.

Unless I get some sort of stupendous bargain, my first choice in line is a Cabela's Prestige Plus. Not afraid to cut 6-8 feet of the front taper off a one-size-heavier line to get a "heavy" front end.