Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Do bigger flys catch bigger fish??

Just a random question. How many of you feel that bigger flys catch bigger fish? Instead of fishing a 18 or 16 nymph would you go up to a 14 or even a 12 trying to catch the big ones, or from a 10 woolly bugger to an 8? Do you think that size matters when targeting bigger fish? or you will catch just as many big fish on small flys. I defiantly know big fish eat small flys, don't get me wrong. Big fish are caught on 22 nymphs all the time. But do you throw on a bigger fly when targeting the bigger fish?

Thanks

Going up a size or two won't likely result in bigger fish. Going form a size 16 nymph to a size 4 streamer might. As a fish gets bigger and requires more caloric intake, it may become more focused on bigger prey such a baitfish instead of insects. As you say, big fish are caught on small flies all the time, but sometimes you can increase your odds by going big.

I agree with Jaydub. It's been my experience that bigger flies can result in bigger fish, especially for species such as bass or Striped Bass. However, it doesn't always work in all waters or all species. As he has said, it's a "sometimes" option.

There does have to be bigger fish present, and bigger flies may result in much less or none of the smaller or average size being caught. IMO, when you go a lot bigger, you have to do it with the thought that you're targeting those bigger fish.

For trout, in some waters & at certain times going to a size 4 streamer as your example indicated, might be a viable option to target any larger ones. Keep in mind too, that with large trout, they may be feeding after dark, so going to a bigger fly during the day may not result in bigger fish. There is a time & place for all size flies.

I remember an article by one of the famous fly anglers (George Harvey or Ed Shenk perhaps, but not sure) that targeted large Brown trout with large streamers, but did so after dark. He knew the fish were there, but they didn't show themselves during the day. They fed at night.

Kelly Galloup & a few others have become quite famous for their tying & use of larger flies for trout, but again it doesn't work in all waters. wink.png

My experience is with bluegills which have small mouths. You can catch them (I have) on anything from size 12 to size 6, maybe even a 4, but the larger hooks prevent the tiny fish from getting hooked, even if they try. In that sense, a bigger hook doesn't prevent the fish from trying but just limits actual catches to bigger mouths. At some point, however, an even bigger hook shuts down catches altogether.

If we are talking about streamers, then my answer is yes. Big articulated streamers can be expected to catch bigger fish. If we are talking about insect flies then my answer is no. The many members of the 20/20 club will testify to that.

Yeah going up to huge nymphs isn't gonna mean big fish. It could mean fewer fish because they don't look real. I bass fish with 12" rubber worms and still regularly catch 1-2 pounders. I've caught more big fish on small finnese offerings.

Everybody has good input on this, and all I can do is repeat some of it.

Larger lures will catch bigger fish if bigger fish are present.

Smaller lures will catch all sizes of fish if they are hungry or you can put it in their face.

Really big fish might not bother with offerings that are too small.

Small fish can't engulf larger lures.

Personally, I'd rather catch smaller fish all day and have fun doing so, than to spend all day casting for larger fish that might not even be there.

When I am fishing public heavily fished water for trout I will frequently fish a large streamer. I will catch some smaller fish but often I catch the large hold overs. I fish only spots that could hold a large fish.

With that said very a small nymph or dry catches large fish too. In clear slow water where you can see a large fish, small long leader and small 24 to 28 is my choice.

A #28 trico (white wood duck breast feather wing and tail and black mole dubbed body) has caught a good number of large trout during days.

My Grandfather fished large wet flies and streamers during the day. He also loved to night fish. Below is a fish from the Wilowemoc in NY.

Below are some night Browns caught on Muddler Minnows. pattern is shown.

Also Thunder Creek Black Nosed Dace a great day streamer.

An eel pattern.

All fish were caught in public water where normal fish caught is under 16 inches. I love to look for hiding areas, big fish often hide in overlooked areas. I have said this a lot, if you want big Brown trout go fishing after 10PM.

post-3361-0-35222500-1413171472_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-94871300-1413172182_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-73776400-1413172189_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-84516200-1413172193_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-00369800-1413172196_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-73299000-1413172201_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-18061200-1413172207_thumb.jpg

One of the ways to catch big fish with small flies (and light rods) is to use "flies with action" = wobbler flies. They ofter attract predators as well as twice biger regular streamers.

Years ago Al Lindner said he never leaves a pocket of bass that have shutdown by finishing off with a 10"-12" worm. This often caught his biggest fish of the year from a spot others would have moved on from.

I recently was in a swap and tied some Hog Snares. Double articulated monstrosities that often catch the biggest fish in a pool...or so I'm told. Most fish I catch are about the size of the Hog Snare.

Yes and no. I think the best example I can give is from my recent trip to CO. I caught all of my bigger trout the first few days on a larger fly pattern. That seemed to be the trend, smaller fish on the smaller flies, bigger fish on the bigger flies. Then the last day I lost what would have been the biggest fish of the trip...that took a #14 pheasant tail soft hackle that was on a dropper off a larger fly. In my experience I'd say more bigger fish are caught on larger flies, but big fish eat small items all the time.

Fish for life,

as was stated above if you are talking about streamer fishing then yes the majority of the time if there are larger brown trout int he water you are fishing then a larger streamer will take bigger fish. If your talking nymph fishing it is not the case, if the trout have been seeing sz 16-20 nymphs and your are throwing #8 they will likely not hit it at all as it not correct size of other insects the trout are used to seeing. unless they are freshly stocked fish. for most insect imitation size is the number one factor followed by shape/profile then last is color. with streamers it kicks the predatory instinct and they hit out of reaction rather than feeding behavior. big meal means better survival to a larger fish, one quick strike could equal a days work of feeding on bugs. the time of year can also impact this fall and early spring are prime times to fish larger flies for large fish, as the feed bag will be on and most aquatic insects will be in thier early Instars and be small.

steve

When trout fishing... it can also depend on time of day, season of the year and location in a pool. Sometimes big flies work, especially streamers. At other times big flies will get you zero. On the Madison, for example, the fish frequently go on tiny midges in the last half hour of daylight. Try something bigger, even one size bigger, and you will get nothing. They do the same all winter. Spring and fall they are on tiny baetis in mid-afternoon. Knowing where in the stream the big fish go to feed when on the small stuff also matters. Near dark you will catch you big fish in the soft water near the bank and nothing in the rough stuff. During a hatch, the big fish will also be in the prime lies of a given pool because they outrank the small fry and get first dibs. Fish a given pool enough and you will learn that the big fish are always in the same places.