Fly Tying
vicrider

Secret Santa Swap time is here

Cut off for sign up is Nov. 14th to have flies here by Nov. 21st. Signup is over unless you contact me and get those flies in the mail NOW.

Welcome to the Secret Santa Swap 2014! The object of this swap is that you send me your flies (amount stated below) and I photograph them, wrap them and randomly send them to your secret swapper, trying to match fishing preferences. The secret swapper does not know until they open them, who they are from. There are Secret Santa prize's that are randomly given away to the swappers that have their flies to me on time! There are a few changes from last year's swaps to try to make things more equitable for tiers and receivers.

I will need either a PM or email from each participant including your name, address, email, AND I would like each participant to give their preference of category or type they would prefer their flies in and I will try to match these as much as possible.

The deadline for this swap will be November. 21. Flies to be here by that time. Foreign shores anticipate your mailing time to make deadline. When I receive your information I will add you to the swapper’s list. If you would like to join in and you are sure you can make the deadline that the flies have to make it to me by the due date, reply with I'M IN and pm or email me your information! THERE IS NO POST REQUIREMENT TO JOIN THIS SWAP BUT MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE RULES FOR SWAPS INCLUDING RETURN POSTAGE ENVELOPE! Santa can't afford 30 postages from North Pole.

Flies will be due by 11-21-14 (Due by 11-21-14, not shipped by 11-21-14.), so they can be photographed, gift wrapped and be on their way to their secret swapper's before Christmas.

These are the categories to send in. Pick one!

1) 12 of your favorite freshwater flies...These can be 12 different flies or 4 sets of 3. Please gear these flies toward a particular type of fish and let me know, even tho there is a lot of crossover. i.e. panfish, trout, shad, skipjack etc.

2) 6 saltwater or large freshwater geared flies. i.e. crabs, intruders, articulated. Specify in general what flies are geared toward.

3) 3 stacked deer hair bugs. Normally considered bass bugs but skating mouse is a known big trout system.

4) 1 Fully dressed Classic Salmon fly designed primarily for display tho it could be fished if person was crazy.

Members WILL put their flies in a flybox and send them. It makes it nicer for the person getting your flies. The flybox can be as simple as a 6 compartment Plano style box but send flies in a box to be fair to all.
You are limited to listed amount of flies. This will keep things more balanced for gifts under the tree They all go to your secret swapper. If you would like to send more than one set you would get more than one set back to you under the tree.

You decide what you think someone would like to receive, tie them up and send them in. No limit to the amount of swappers.
Thank You, Vicrider
Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne OK 73628

[email protected]

Yes, there have been a few changes in this swap and I hope to make it fun, equitable, and get each person flies geared toward their preference as much as possible. Let's have fun and the sooner we get all the flies the nicer they'll be packaged and returned. Once back to receivers I expect them to sit unmolested under tree until Christmas morning.rolleyes.gif

There is no limit to how many can participate in this swap. Considering it's Christmas, the more the merrier.

Edits based on PM's...

1. Date is corrected to be November 21 deadline

2. Yes, my email is paypal connected for postage

3. To clarify a point I sent this to Scott. I'm going to try again on this since I've had a couple of questions on it.

Let's say you're in for a panfish swap. Now, let's say you don't know 12 panfish flies you can tie comfortably and send in. Okay, no one (most anyway), wants a dozen identical Bluegill Bullies. If you're only comfortable with a few different patterns fine. Just mix them up so you have no more than 3 of any single pattern so the person will have some variety in his box. This could be as simple as 4 sets of 3 different patterns, 4 sets of 3 similar but different color or weight or size patterns, or 2 sets of 3 patterns and 6 different patterns. Not trying to confuse anyone here, just trying to make it clear that this is not the swap where we try to tie 12 identical patterns.

When it comes to the large fly category, a mix of 3x2, 2x2x2 , or 6 different would all be great.

For the stacked hair flies it probably should be 3 different colors or styles for variety.

4. Since it was brought up by someone, I will include the Santa's surprise for at least one lucky member drawn at random. This will consist of some flies sent as extras by generous souls and maybe a few tying materials I have in surplus. At least one special surprise, maybe more.

Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne OK 73628

Please read: Many people send extra flies along for the SM. This is always appreciated but in this case I am going to do something a little different. Understand, health keeps me from fishing enough to use or lose much of the boxes of flies I have. I am going to put the extras into a grab bag and as I sort the boxes I will feed a few into each box randomly. So everyone should get an extra fly of two from an unknown participant. I am telling this so that if the random law of averages means I stick one of yours right back into your box it wasn't because I rejected yoru offering but random chance is just that. I want the flies under the tree and not opened until Christmas to please everyone participating.

If I miss your name on here please let know. I'll be trying to keep it all updated.

This thread will be for swapper's list.

1. Vicrider...................Received.

2, Bentflyrod...............Received

3. FishingBobNelson..Received

4. DavidR...................Received

5. Psychoprince..........

6.Horseshoes.............Received.

7. BorderCollies.........Received

8. L'il Dave.................Received

9. Scott K...................Received

10. Netabrookie.........Received

11. Joseph Russell....Received