Fly Tying
vicrider

Secret Santa Swap time is here

netabrook, I can't help but find it funny you go to one PO to mail and another PO to pick up. Most of us do it the same way each time. I can understand how the PO on top of the mountain is better for for flies but don't they also accept rods?

No problem. Lots of time.

Vicrider, I actually live closer to the post office on the mountain but the way it is zoned around here my address is considered an "in town" address. I like the fellow at the mountain top post office and we always wind up talking about trout fishing so it is an enjoyable visit. I really respect the guy. Not only is he a super nice fellow but he is a vet that earned a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star in sand land. I have thought about getting a PO box there just for the swaps and things that I order because the mail service at my actual address will only deliver small things to my box in the cul de sac at the end of the paved road but wont venture on down the gravel road another 1/2 mile to my place.

Li'l Dave, they don't have Christmas on that side of the world do they?

Nah.. We got Christmas mate... he just leaves the reindeer at the equator and swaps 'em out for kangaroos. :P

That would be great add. I just wanted to make sure everybody got their flies in some container that would display them well and be reusable. Not everybody included one in the past and want to have everyone contribute something for the shipping and opening this time.

Vicrider, I woke up to a couple inches of snow this morning but the roads weren't too bad so I made it to the post office and sent the flies on their journey. I do feel a bit stupid and forgetful however because I left the little box of extra flies for you or everyone else laying on my desk.

Okay, just a quick update. I'll hold off on these until we have at least a few to mention otherwise it's a lot of posts coming up. So far we have trout flies from DavidR, first one in, Horseshoes is here, and Li'l Dave sent his great looking flats flies all tied from Kangaroo Fur. Well, maybe not...more standard ties and supplies but darn nice lookin'. If I had a chance to hit some salt these wouldn't leave Santa's workshop.

Alright, I am new to this swap thing and have a few questions before I say I'm in.

I am a bit confused on how to send the flies out. Specifically the Return Postage. I would like to get more details on exactly the steps I have to do to accomplish this. Do I go to the USPS office and they will help me?

So are you asking not to use Altoids containers and instead go by a cheap lure box.

meyer, I'm using a two sided small box with lanyard. Doesn't have to be "cheap". It's Christmas.biggrin.png The Altoid box is not the thing for this one because you're not getting your own box back with swap flies in it like would be the norm. This time the entire box with flies will go to someone else and you'll get a box with flies in return.

As for postage, that will work the same as all swaps in that you send a package with another envelope inside pre-addressed and postage for return. Yes, the PO can definitely help you like they did at first. I've used a few systems and now find a 7"x10" Cushion Mailer with a 5.75"x8.75" Cushion Mailer inside works well. The PO will weigh the whole package first and post outside envelope, then take out inside package and weigh that for return. MAKE SURE you get stamps on the inside package and not metered mail.

If you have more questions ask 'em. Otherwise I hope you're in and do like the original post and let me know the type of flies you'll go with and you other info in a PM or email.

Nick

Of course I would like to get in this year!

The flies will leave tomorrow, deliverry within two weeks maximum. Right in time!

thanx for hosting!

Great Herman. Send me you info. What DO you fish for over there?

meyer2792, make the leap and let us know you're in.smile.png