Fly Tying
August9999

Redfish flies

PJ and Tidewaterfly - I tried PMing you, (Tidewaterfly) but got a message that you couldn't receive PMs so I thought I'd explain my remark above about "the Kid" here. I just assumed he was a kid by his name (the 99 being his birth year). I could be wrong. But anyway, I was noticing all of his posts and I thought he needed some direction in his quest to learn fly tying and I thought there was a better way to go about it than the direction he was headed. So I PMed him (so as to not make it a public matter on the forum and maybe save him some embarrassment) and gave him some unsolicited advice on what he should do to further his quest. It was not well received and got the same sarcastic tone and defensiveness that you got PJ. It wasn't til afterward that I saw his response to you and that prompted my somewhat discourteous response. Kid or not, sarcasm and disrespect is not the way to go about learning. Sorry this had to go public but he brought it upon himself.

Shoebob, I am sorry for my reply to your PM. I realize that I could have handled it in a better way than with sarcasm and disrespect. I am the new kid to the page and to the sport. I suppose I thought this place was a treasure trove of knowledge that was just waiting to be given to me. When you challenged this dream of mine I felt attacked in a way. And I didn't like that. Sadly though, the way I chose to stand up for this dream of mine was highly inappropriate. For this I apologize.

And for the wonder about my age I am 13. The 9's in my name have nothing to do with my birth year, August9999 is just my username for various site since it is usually available.

You already posed the same question in another thread. Didn't you read the answers?

Same apology goes out to you, Peter. I am sorry for my immature response to the situation.

Shoe, good for you on at least trying! Thanks for explaining your attempt! I agree with you & PJ about this issue. I thought perhaps he was simply being a kid & newbie with the questions so everyone should cut him some slack. But, I agree there's no need to be a jerk in the process with anyone here. Unfortunately, that seems to be rampant among youngsters these days! As I recall, the sarcasm & disrespect issue has come up before with some youngsters around here! Not sure if any of those are still around.

Perhaps he'll learn that the folks here are trying to help him or perhaps he won't.

Besides, you spent a week at my house, and I can definitively state that on a crotchety exam, we'd both probably score in the same percentile.

No doubts about that! rolleyes.gif

Tidewater, nice flies BTW. Curious what the body material is for the second one down from the top. Also, did you ever make it out to the Honga? I seem to remember you were considering it awhile back.

Mud, I used a couple of materials, all being about the same, just different names I think. The back section is Cascade Crest Crystal & Trilobal fiber, or Hackle Flash. The forward section is Estaz Grande. I think the Estaz is the UV version, but not sure as I have both the UV & regular. A couple of the flies are tied with those materials in the body.

No, I didn't get to the Honga. Thought about it! I had wanted to check the area along the Blackwater River near the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge to see if I could locate some Redfish, but since reports of the Reds were scarce I opted to go to the Chicamacomico River & see if I could find some bass instead. Not much to show for it, but wasn't skunked. smile.png

Apology accepted! I must admit I am impressed! I didn't mean to crush you hopes just redirect your efforts to a more profitable direction. There is a lot one has to learn and there is so much info for free on YouTube and other places.. Read and study this stuff and then come here as you learn for more clarification. We will be glad to help in any way we can.

PS An excellent apology BTW! :)

Mud, I've fished in the upper reaches of the Blackwater for bass & panfish, from Shorter's Wharf & up river, but it's been many years since I've done so. In my teens, a buddy had a boat & we would go there & fish. The fishing was fairly good back then. Not sure if that's still the case. Yep, there's a lot of good looking spots along there, but not all of it holds fish.

My intention was to go down river towards Fishing Bay & look for grass flats were the Reds might come up & feed. I don't believe that river gets a lot of fishing pressure, but that perhaps may be with good reason.

If those Reds ever show up again like they did last year, we'll have to get together & give it a look! If nothing else, there's probably some Stripers in there. smile.png

Apology accepted! I must admit I am impressed! I didn't mean to crush you hopes just redirect your efforts to a more profitable direction. There is a lot one has to learn and there is so much info for free on YouTube and other places.. Read and study this stuff and then come here as you learn for more clarification. We will be glad to help in any way we can.

PS An excellent apology BTW! smile.png

Thank you

Hey Peter....I bet you woke up when they shot the juice to the electrodes.

Being new to this forum also, and being of Senior Citizen age, my view of this forum is pretty low, as a matter of fact I would like to be removed from it. How would one go a that?

Being new to this forum also, and being of Senior Citizen age, my view of this forum is pretty low, as a matter of fact I would like to be removed from it. How would one go a that?

If you don't like the forum. Then don't come to it. Simple as that. Being removed doesn't change anything, just don't come here if you don't like it.

Aces ... it's the "Saltwater" forum. Your expectations are exactly what they should be ... low. Nothing ever comes from this forum except the dregs of societal attitudes. The people who DO like this are the same guys you see under the bridges and overpasses in seedy parts of cities.

Why would you want to be removed from such a great learning environment ... it's like a "National Geographic" documentary about the "bottom of the barrel".