Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
muskyhunter81

MagnaVise Review

I have one that I tested for Matt for a while, and my main beef was that the notches in the jaw almost impeded a 100% lockout in hooks from #12 to about #8 (a range that includes a large percentage of my tying). Also, when I would put a big streamer hook into the vise I had to wiggle it around to get it to "lock" into the notches in the jaw. I think that the jaw would be 100% better if it were just smooth with one large notch (like a regal), and I communicated that back to Matt.

All in all, it's a functional vise that is good for most situations, but it needs some fine tuning to make it an every day tyer.

Nice review. Did you have the opportunity to try the midge jaws?

I could not justify the extra cost to get the midge jaws. But like I said I managed to tie a size 26 in it. I don't have any smaller hooks to try or I'd test it for you.

Thanks for the compliments.

Lance

Thanx for the reviews. I am a returning tier and have been back into tying regular for about the last 2 years. I have been going thru a few vises the last few years trying to find everything I'm looking for and am pretty sure it doesn't exist. After deciding to upgrade from my OLD basic Thompson, I have gone thru an Atlas Anvil, an older Renzatti Traveler, some offbrand rotary, the Mongoose rotary, and a Peak rotary. I have made many ties on each of these and picked out the features I like and this vise comes close to matching them, but still needs a couple of things you mentioned.

Here are the attributes of a vise I've decided are what I want. Too bad they don't exist all in one vise, tho the Atlas Anvil which I donated to a young tier was about as close as any have come. I have decided I really like and want the rotary feature, tho I don't use it in the rotary tying fashion many do but like to be able to rotate the fly in different positions as I work on them. The problem with the bent neck vises I have are that the rotary lock is either too tight or else the weight of the head with the offset won't hold but drops down. I also have gotten to like the straight neck better to work on since when you flip vise over to work on bottom the big gooseneck of vises like Mongoose and Peak are in your way. I like a material holder on some ties but can live without one. Another thing I don't see on this vise is a Bobbin holder. Nice to get it out of the way on some ties. So, all in all, this vise could do the job but I actually think I'm going back to an Anvil since it's a similar design and know I liked it. That and the Renzetti Traveler should cover me for most uses.

Another thing with the MagnaVise is the material bucket. What I have done on my other vises is use a plastic container that comes with Shredded Pork. It has a lip that extends out on two sides. I took one side of the lip and drilled a 3/8" hole in it and slip it down the support shaft for the vise. Works great.

I have a Magnavice that I use as my "outside" tying (classes, shows etc) and purchased the micro jaws because the original jaws are a little awkward to use with #14 and below, you have to clamp the hook right in the tip of the jaws and the hook can move a little. Also because the jaws are q little bulky they can impede into the gape too far - for my liking anyhow,

The micro jaws are FAR superior, even using a #16 there is tonnes of room around the gape and although they are a little pricey as an extra ( i believe the vice is now sold with both jaws now), they are well worth the cash.

Muskiehunter81 - Thanks for posting your review. Interesting vise.

Not to hijack your thread, but,

vicrider - Have you tried a Regal Medallion? Meets all your requirements, and built like a tank. It is a rotary, not a true rotary. You can turn the fly all the way around to look / work on it.

I've had true rotary vises, but like most, never used that feature to its full potential.

I have a Magnavice that I use as my "outside" tying (classes, shows etc) and purchased the micro jaws because the original jaws are a little awkward to use with #14 and below, you have to clamp the hook right in the tip of the jaws and the hook can move a little. Also because the jaws are q little bulky they can impede into the gape too far - for my liking anyhow,

The micro jaws are FAR superior, even using a #16 there is tonnes of room around the gape and although they are a little pricey as an extra ( i believe the vice is now sold with both jaws now), they are well worth the cash.

Great, I tied a lot of size 14-20s and prefer to use smaller jaws whenever feasible.

That regular jaw does fine holding all the way down to #32. I didn't really see the point of the midge jaw when I tried it out.

Vicrider sounds as if you should try an HMH with the jaw angle adjusted flat....

I don't like any vise with "notches" in the jaw. IMO and experience, a properly designed vise should not need notches to hold anything.

I can not think of any time in the last 35 years which I have tied on a steel table. At first I thought perhaps the vise came with a complimentary magnet pad which would stick on the underside of whatever table it is being used on? Unless you normally tie on a steel table, what is the advantage of having the magnets in the base? Just to keep hooks on the base? Not criticizing, just wondering what problem it solves.