Fly Tying

Meyer 2792 ….Go to wallmart and get yourself a coffee grinder…there cheap there …and grind it all up and use the material for dubbing for nymph bodies or any fly …..you can make all kinds of different dubbing colors for cheap. You will be able to use up your waste then and still make more fliers…..Good Tying …..and Tight Lines.

I agree with those who say it doesn't make sense to sort, bag, store, etc. all your "waste" - I guess it's because I'm too lazy to bother. I don't like to spend that kind of time on "waste." But I am conflicted, because I'm also a cheapskate, so I really don't like to literally waste the waste by throwing it out.

Besides some of the tricks already mentioned - reusing materials as dubbing, or cutting longer, multi-use pieces of carded materials such that you don't end up with a bunch of wasted tags, I've developed a strategy that helps eliminate waste, but doesn't require caching it away.

What I do when I sit down to tie is start with a few specific patterns in mind. I try to shoot for spending about half my vise time on these patterns, so if I'm gonna tie for two hours, I do these flies for an hour. Then, after a get a few of those through the vise, I spend a few minutes looking at my pile of waste. I let my imagination run free, and I try to tie patterns based purely on what's in my waste, with minimal interjections of new materials that are hopefully not inherently wasteful.

As an example, if I've just tied a few wooly buggers, and I have a few tag ends of chenille that are too short to easily use wrapping another bugger body, I'll tie some small hook sizes of san juan worms. Or if I've just tied some larger nymphs, I might end up tying smaller midge larvae with the waste. Sometimes I end up tying patterns I know, other times I just put stuff on a hook and see what happens until I'm out of scraps. If I tie stuff that ends up looking worthless or is ineffective on the water, well at least it was destined for the garbage anyways so no big loss.

By doing this, I don't end up wasting much, but I also don't have to spend time dealing with waste, and I get a little variation and creativity in my fly box.

Thanks Mike. I grew up tying and fly fishing but haven't touched a rod or bobbin in almost 20 years. My wife got me an outfit for Christmas this year so I'm picking it back up. It's amazing how the internet has changed things. I learned more ideas and patterns in my first afternoon browsing forums like this than I did in my entire prior life of fly fishing.

Unless it's something that I consider keepable, most of my snippings, etc., go onto the floor. I have a little rechargeable vacuum that I clean up with later.

That's a lot of waste if you only tied a fly or two. Otherwise it's pretty normal. As someone else said, don't take chenile or other carded material off the card and there will be no waste. I am pretty frugal but there is not much you can do since there will be waste when fly tying. Throw it out.

So I been tying for about 6 months. I received my fly tying equipment and materials from a professor of mine. I use the waste catcher that attaches to the vise. Anyways, I seem to collect a lot of waste. Is it really waste? Should I be using this material and be saving it?

If you are Lefty Kreh, you could sell it.

At our State TU Banquest quite a few years ago, the guest speaker was Lefty Kreh. For the banquet, Lefty tied a Lefty's Deciever, which was auctiioned. Then they auctioned a Zip Lock bag of the tying waste! I think the tying waste went for about $20.

Really tinsel and other strand type materials are all I save. Like others I cut enough for the amount of flies I intend to tie and have just one cut off of waste. Bit's of dubbing aren't worth the effort and I buy the kind of hackle grade that I might need two feathers to finish a fly, not several flies from one feather. And at that often I mix two types together anyway,like coachman brown and grizzly for instance, or olive and ginger etc.. I keep a small waste basket at my feet, the trash goes where into a very appropriate spot, in the trash. I can't tell you over the years how many little pieces of material I had a dream of using, couldn't stand tossing it out, and fly after fly would go by and that material was still shoved around on my desk weeks later until I found it in the living room cause a cat got hold of it or it fell clung to my sweater and that 's how far it rode with me.

I do like the grinder idea though, I grind coffee beans in a Magic Bullet but that head is the one with the shallow blades , I don't think the spare blender head would grind the materials into dubbing. It will mix pre made dubbing, I've done that. Hmm wonder what the blends might come out like between tinsel, hackle, yarn, antron, dubbing, thread cut offs all mixed, ground and blended. Might be kind of interesting.

Silver, do you happen to remember what the deceiver sold for?

I can't recall. It was framed and signed. I think it went for over $500. I seem to recall that Lefty wrote something on the back of the frame for the buyer but I may be thinking of another banquet.

My Lefty's Deciever is in a framed shadow box set of flies that match US Postal Service Commemorative Series. All the flies are tied by famed Wisconsin Fly Tier Royce Dam. Royce is the 1994 Buz Buszek Award Winner, the highest fly tying award the FFF gives out.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals/0/FlyTyingGroup/FTGDocuments/Buszek/1994_RoyceDam.pdf

P1000697.jpg

Here is a close up of the full dress Salmon fly in my shadow box.

P1000699.jpg

royce_dam_2011_02.jpg

When I started tying I tried to save waste. You know the tips of hackle for wings, the after shafts on saddle hackle for wet flies and so on. All I really ended up with was a bunch of bags full of trash the never actually got used. It was tossed in the end. Just go ahead and throw it away.

if you keep carded and spooled materials on the card and spool there will be no wasted material. cutting off ANY length is going to eventually result in waste

there seems to be a lot of wasted crystal flash in that photo that could have been used for additional flies

you could grind up that waste in a coffee bean grinder and make some spikey dubbing

minute pieces of this and that is just not worth saving

ive seen tyers pull out 5-6 inches of thread, tie it on the hook and snip/break away the waste end and into the trash. yea thread is cheap but you only need a 1/4 inch to start a fly

Yes I have started to do exactly this as I found I would waste material hand over fist.

I tend to wind my thread up so as not to waste it while starting a fly.