Fly Tying
Sockeye guy

Vise help needed

I am looking for a vice that will hold up to a size 7/0 hook. I tie almost all buck tail teaser hooks for my salwater jigs. I had a 20.00 vise that lasted for years but its almost wore out. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. What would you suggest? I don't mind buying used at all. Thanks for your help

If you don't need anything fancy, just get a pair of 6 inch vice grips and weld a piece of 3/8 inch rod to it. If you want to get fancy you can grind the jaws down a little. My dad made this up for me 40 years ago and I still use it occasionally for heavy duty stuff.

Steve

Try what Steve said or try eBay. There are plenty of vises in the 20-30 dollar range that, aren't anything fancy, but do the job well. Before I got a fancy vise, I tied with a $30 eBay vise for years.

You are tying enough to wear out a vise then you likely wouldn't want a shop vise. A cheap Indian made vise will do but the jaws are not hardened and they wear out fast. I have a few that I'll trade for something worth about $20. That is about what I paid at dealer's cost a few years ago. If your old vise is made in India then I may have some jaws that will fit. My guess is they cost me less that $10 each, maybe even $5. Send me a picture of your vise and jaws and I should be able to know.