Fly Tying
eide

November flies from the bench

Mike

All the grass shrimp I've ever seen on my side of the state are about 1" or less long. Wondering how big those flies are? Grass shrimp are also clear (translucent) so those flies are good mimics.

Also all the grass shrimp I ever saw were in the grass along the shore of ponds. Never saw one out in the open water. Do you fish them in open water, or aim for the shore?

FYI here's a good article on them: http://www.floridawildlifemagazine.com/grass-shrimp.html

I like the green bead on that bead head nymph. Is that from a fly tying store or a hobby shop?

All those flies are fish food. Looks good.

Hi they are lumo beads from k-mart fishing section

Mike

All the grass shrimp I've ever seen on my side of the state are about 1" or less long. Wondering how big those flies are? Grass shrimp are also clear (translucent) so those flies are good mimics.

Also all the grass shrimp I ever saw were in the grass along the shore of ponds. Never saw one out in the open water. Do you fish them in open water, or aim for the shore?

FYI here's a good article on them: http://www.floridawildlifemagazine.com/grass-shrimp.html

FlaFly,

mysis_measure.jpg

This is what they are mimicking.

mysis01.jpg

Looks like it could imitate grass shrimp.

Note that they are solid white. When mysis are alive they are transparent. When they die they go white but have translucent "skin".

Kimo

post-44540-0-00531900-1416786176_thumb.jpg

Been tying a lot more lately. Wife left in August and I moved the fly tying shop into the living room. For those who haven't checked out FlyFishFood.com , please do. It is a great site and has brought my fly tying to the next level. I'm no expert but my techniques have gotten better, still need more work. post-44540-0-77957500-1416786262_thumb.jpg

post-44540-0-69220100-1416786278_thumb.jpg

post-44540-0-65360700-1416786311_thumb.jpg

Ice Wing Caddis pattern that I learned from Curtis at FlyFishFood

post-44540-0-95247500-1416786344_thumb.jpg

MUST TIE MORE!!! Ditched the wife and now to spend what money she left me with on fly tying stuff.

I like the green bead on that bead head nymph. Is that from a fly tying store or a hobby shop?

All those flies are fish food. Looks good.

Thanks.

I got a letter in the mail today. It was waiting on the table for me. Wife was quite perplexed, as she could neither feel anything in the envelope, nor see anything with light shining through it. (She's not "snooping" as I am okay with her opening my mail. But she didn't open this because she was ... on alert ... LOL)

Anyway, as soon as I saw it, I hoped it would be from Kimo ... and it was !!!

attachicon.gifDSC01540.JPG

Not as good as his photo, but this is what he sent me. Small enough to be missed with light showing through the envelope ... compared to a 3 inch + tube of glue:

attachicon.gifDSC01541.JPG

You can see their true size.

I can't stand it ... I won't be able to test one for another THREE DAYS .... AAAaaarrrggghhh !!

Thank you, Kimo.

Anything I can do for you, just ask.

Okay Mike I hate to ask a stupid question but what are those cool looking critters? Are they suppose to shrimp? Kimo did an excellent job on them!!!!

Now they are one cool looking fly....

Amazing bunch of flies this month smile.png

Agree! Lots of inspiration from all over the place!

istripbuggers, I like the way you used the surface of the flip flop to put texture on the top of that popper. Looks really good. Will have to use that on some of my own ties.