Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
foambug

Winter carp flies

Ok so here I am in southern colorado - on the tAilwaters of the ark. An fishing for carp !!!! Run into a few minor things .... Don't know how to cook carp --- an looking for winter flies for carp .... Any ideas ?? Anyone ??? Thanks 😃

I've only occasionally caught them in winter on lures while fishing for panfish. Have never caught one on a fly in winter. Last one I remember catching was on a beetle spin type lure, so I expect they become opportunistic & will take what they can find, as food supply is less in the winter. I would go with nymphs & crayfish type patterns, which are popular for them, even in winter. IMO, the presentation & how slow you can fish the fly is probably going to be the difference in having success or not.

As far as preparing them to eat, there's an old recipe that says fillet them & tack the fillets to a board. Put whatever spices you like on the fillet, and cook near an open fire.

When ready you toss the fillet & eat the board! rolleyes.gif

I've only tried them once. I caught two carp in a small stream one spring many years ago when I was much younger & kept the one to eat. It was interesting. I filleted the carp & my mother baked it in the oven. The meat was bland. That's about as much as I can say about it, except I won't try it again. Perhaps someone else has had a better experience.

I used to eat carp in Indiana ... back about 4 decades ago. Fillet and skin them as any other fish. After the fillets are skinned, look for the dark meat along the lateral line and cut it out. The remaining fillet can be cooked like any other, and I think has a very rich flavor when sauteed in butter. I used to prefer them when camping.

Since carp is an oily fish, the best way to prepare them is by smoking them. Carp from colder water has a much firmer flesh and therefore better tasting. You will love them smoked.

You fillet them out as Mike has described. Find a 1" board long enough to lay the fillets on with a little extra on each end. Get some good ole red clay mud and completely cover the fillets and board. Bake @ 325 degrees for one hour. Scrape off the mud and fillet and eat the board.

Here in UK the winter drops into the minus numbers and carp will look for deeper holes and reduce their dietary intake significantly. However, even when snow is on the ground, they can sometimes be caught in quite shallow water where sun has heated the water that tiny bit. I only fished short sessions over winter for carp and only over midday when the sun was highest. Depending how cold your waters get you may be in for a long slow winter.