Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wschmitt3

November Blues

I really look forward to winter in Florida here on the east coast. Water levels on the flats drop to knee deep or less and get crystal clear making wading and sight fishing for gator trout and reds really fun. The water rarely gets too cold to use waders ( for me anyway ) and the boaters have thinned out dramatically from summer.

Come Jan and Feb I'll head over to St. Johns for some fun shad fishing too.

post-44758-0-85467100-1415064151_thumb.jpg

For all you winter bound (or even worse snow bound...) anglers -there is a solution. Winter time in the Everglades can be magic since that's when we prowl up really shallow hunting fish to sight cast to... There's even opportunities for lighter gear than our usual fare of 8wts on up.

Anyone wanting a brochure, just send an email request to [email protected] and you'll get an email brochure.

I really look forward to winter in Florida here on the east coast. Water levels on the flats drop to knee deep or less and get crystal clear making wading and sight fishing for gator trout and reds really fun. The water rarely gets too cold to use waders ( for me anyway ) and the boaters have thinned out dramatically from summer.

Come Jan and Feb I'll head over to St. Johns for some fun shad fishing too.

I agree about the winter fishing, it can be great. But as a native Floridian, I need those waders pretty early in the season. I love the shad, I have been wanting to get around to trying for them but haven't had the chance. I hear they jump like little tarpon. Do you walk the bank of the St Johns or fish from a boat?

agn ... I am a boat angler. If you're interested, and can sit in a jon boat, we can go try for some this January. Just let me know.

Saltybum. What part of the east coast are you fishing? I would be interested so as to find a place to wade fish. Any info willbe great. Thanks.

Mike, that would be great! Thanks for the offer. I have spent many hours on a jon boat.

Paul, Where are you on the east coast? I know of a few spots around Sebastian

I am in Houston this week and next ... home until February after that. I know I will have to give up one weekend to do a yard sale for my Mother-n-law, but otherwise, I'll be fishing as much as I can.

I live in Deltona, but am willing to travel some to fish ... let me know when you want to go.

I would literally climb the walls if I couldn't trout fish until spring. Virginia used to have a closed trout season but that was so long ago that I can't remember when it was. I love to be out in the creek in the winter months and the only closed time that I experience is if the creeks are froze over for a few days or so. Since my sons are grown and moved away I usually spend Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years on a creek if the weather permits. I feel for those that cant hit the water whenever they want but I'll bet your fly boxes look a lot better than mine does when spring comes.

Where in VA are you?

Awesome, Mike, I guess some point January will be best when they start running? I'm in Gainesville so only about a 2 hr drive, certainly not bad for fishing

The bite was good yesterday. Chubs and panfish were destroying PTs and ants on the local creek.

D64C382D-5470-4E32-8CDB-9B598A14C7E8_zps

A26F6795-6254-4136-B9B8-20C7D0F7C4CE_zps

It sure does make me happy to live in a state where we have some open water to fish, even in the winter. I fished the Missouri here in Montana last Saturday afternoon and it was close to 55 degrees F. Beautiful day. This morning it was -20 degrees F. That will put a halt to things for a little bit. Most rivers close on Nov. 15th. But there are some great fisheries that stay open. Good luck to all of you who can stay on the water!

So I went down to the Waits River today, the stream down the road from me that is open year round. After I checked a few places along the section that is open year round I found it was very very shallow and flowing very very slow it looked almost stagnant. I don't know why this section of river would have been chosen for year round fishing it does not have much good habitat.

Guess I'll have to make a longer trek to get in a few more days before the big freeze.