Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Soft hackle

This my 1st soft hackle fly and I'm looking for input and criticism so I can improve. Please let me know what should change.

post-16687-0-15919000-1415077642_thumb.jpg

I don't know the criteria for soft hackles ... but THAT looks like a fish catching machine. Sort of spider-y with the long fibers, which usually means movement and attraction qualities in the water.

Shank length at the most for the tail and I like the hackle to sweep back just to the barb of the hook, but that is just personal preference. I like the sparse hackle of your fly. I think many over dress the hackle.

Looks way better than my soft hackles... for some reason, these defeat me. Nice fly, go fish it! Longer tails arent always bad, they can give it a bit more life - make it look bigger though!

Looks pretty good. As said before the tail and hackle are a little longer than the ideal. I like my hackles to be about 3/4 of the body length and the tail about the length of the hook shank. But it looks well tied and im sure would catch some fish.

Good job,

-Will

Looks darn good to me! Fishing it and take a picture of what you catch and post it!!!

I like hackle about body length but often end up with them somewhat longer. Most of the time I don't bother with tails, many of the older classic soft hackles don't use them. If it makes you feel more confident go ahead and add them but as noted above, no longer than shank length. Unless you are trying a Trico spinner, those little stinkers go about 3x times the body.

Steve