Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zairusdee

Greetings from Malaysia

Hi All,

You can call me Sham. I have just started doing fly fishing and tying 3 years ago. It is a quite a challenge at the beginning where the fly community here is quite small and the target species is also quite different.

Well, I'm looking forward to learn more about fly fishing and tying. Really hope that I could get more feedback here.

Cheers!

Best regards,

Sham

Welcome to FTF Sham! I'm sure you'll pick up a few ideas here and maybe you will have some for us as well.

How in the world did you decide to pick up fly fishing in Malaysia?

Welcome to the family. If you want inspiration look up the postings of Dronlee, who also is from Malaysia. He is a true artist! And he actually catches fish with his art!

Welcome to the family. If you want inspiration look up the postings of Dronlee, who also is from Malaysia. He is a true artist! And he actually catches fish with his art!

Yes... i know him... added to my facebook friends. I do have my own fly pattern but normally i don't target to create a realistic pattern. I like to create a pattern that actually can cheat the fish.. Ugly but killer...

Welcome to FTF Sham! I'm sure you'll pick up a few ideas here and maybe you will have some for us as well.

How in the world did you decide to pick up fly fishing in Malaysia?

I just love fly fishing. Tie my own bait and catch fish. And I have more luck using fly fishing instead of others technique...

Here, just caught one this moorning, Haruan (snakehead), 26cm long on Wooly Bugger...

20141106haruan26cm-resize_zpsf7398bdf.jp

Cool! I've heard about them, but never saw one. Do you eat those things?

Cool! I've heard about them, but never saw one. Do you eat those things?

I'm not... but most Malaysia eat this. This fish has e medical value. It has a nutrition almost equal to salmon. It is also proven by medical research that its nutrition can help to re-generate our cell faster.

Normally people who just had an surgery, injury or women who just delivered a baby is good to eat this fish because it really can help you heal faster. I think this is the most fish caught and famous in Malaysia.

For an angler, this fish being a target because it is very aggressive. Attack almost all type of bait. It can grow up to 3 kg. And very strong and snap my tippet many times already.

Think maybe I could rub some snakefish oil on my scalp and regenerate hair follicles? If that worked, they'd be fished to extinction overnight!

That's a pretty fish, Sham. Welcome to the site. We now have Snakeheads in certain parts of the USA. At first, they were considered invaders (Still are, for the most part) but now are targeted by many guides and anglers for there strike and fight.

Glad to see you on here. Looking forward to more pictures of fish from your Country.

Think maybe I could rub some snakefish oil on my scalp and regenerate hair follicles? If that worked, they'd be fished to extinction overnight!

Hahaha... but not all snakehead species has this kind of healing power. Only this one... The Channa striatus species.... So far I only know this species can be found in Asia like Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar...

Sham, welcome! We have the Northern Snakehead (Channa argus) here in Maryland & some other areas. They're in the Potomac River system which separates MD & Virginia plus a few other rivers. It is considered an invasive species by our natural resources biologists, but has established itself & is spreading it's range. I've not caught them myself, but know a guide who targets them with both flies & conventional tackle. I recently read that 2 world records have been set in tributary creeks of the Potomac in VA for this species so they're growing large here.

The Northern is reported to be good to eat too, but I had not heard anything about any healing properties with them. They're aggressive as well, but seems they can be finicky at times and can be hard to catch. When it was first known that they were in the Potomac, there was all kinds of myths reported with them, such as they would be eating everything & would deplete our other fishes or they could not tolerate the cold winters here or the salinity in the tidal waters. None of that has proven true so far. It was feared they would out compete our bass & possibly deplete the bass populations, but it seems that has not happened either. I've read that bass are feeding heavily on their young since they spawn more often than the bass.

When you can please post some of your flies! We all enjoy seeing patterns that others around the world tie! smile.png

Sham, welcome! We have the Northern Snakehead (Channa argus) here in Maryland & some other areas. They're in the Potomac River system which separates MD & Virginia plus a few other rivers. It is considered an invasive species by our natural resources biologists, but has established itself & is spreading it's range. I've not caught them myself, but know a guide who targets them with both flies & conventional tackle. I recently read that 2 world records have been set in tributary creeks of the Potomac in VA for this species so they're growing large here.

The Northern is reported to be good to eat too, but I had not heard anything about any healing properties with them. They're aggressive as well, but seems they can be finicky at times and can be hard to catch. When it was first known that they were in the Potomac, there was all kinds of myths reported with them, such as they would be eating everything & would deplete our other fishes or they could not tolerate the cold winters here or the salinity in the tidal waters. None of that has proven true so far. It was feared they would out compete our bass & possibly deplete the bass populations, but it seems that has not happened either. I've read that bass are feeding heavily on their young since they spawn more often than the bass.

When you can please post some of your flies! We all enjoy seeing patterns that others around the world tie! smile.png

Thanks...

Will post some of my favorite flies once I've received my new fly tying tools kit soon... but my flies so far don't have a name and very ugly... but i don't know some how, the fish love it... that's more important i guess... hahaha...

Whenever I tie a fly, I'm doing my best to think like fish... for example... if you catch a hopper and throw it into water... then the fish bite or eat it... so the question here... is it the fish know that the thing that they bite/eat is a hopper? Even though that is the first time that fish see the hopper... same thing with the color because most of the fish is a blind color...

But lately, I really have no idea what to tie... for now, I'm trying to master all the classic flies... there are still a lot of classic flies that I have not tie yet...