Fly Tying
add147

30 minute epoxy

Can some please recommend a 30 minute epoxy that I might be able to get like at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, or maybe at an arts and crafts store for my Clouser Minnows?

I got some last year at Michaels that came in two separate jars with screw top lids. (like jelly jars). I can dip out a small amount of each with a couple of toothpicks... the lower you dip, the more you get and if you dip the two the same depth, you get identical amounts. Last time I looked for it, they didn't have it, so you may or may not find it. I haven't looked at Michaels online... maybe that would find it.

Dollar Tree had two part 5 minute epoxy in the double syringe. I didn't look for 30 minute but it could be there.

30 minutes is a long time to rotate something while it sets up.

Sorry ... I was just thinking out loud.

I've been thinking of doing some seaducers, surf candy and the like and figured "5 minute" would be okay, but I don't know for sure. Some of these guys who use epoxy and resins will know more.

I ran across Bob Clouser's video on You Tube and he uses 30 minute epoxy. Maybe one of the stores near by will have something that will fit my needs.

My recommendation would be Devcon. There epoxys are excellent and cure clear and in there alotted time. I would think 5 minute would be fine for clousers. But I could see using 30 minute.

Guest Tony P

5 minute is fine but it will yellow on you. When I use epoxy I use Devcon 30 minute & put it on my fly turner.

gorilla brand

k2-_6cc770de-c7fe-4f79-af66-268645931392

sally hansen is cheaper

hard-as-nails.jpg

all the glue is doing is covering the thread head

loctite go2

0007934068943_500x500.jpg

I bought some at my local fly shop and tried it in my body braid teasers. You only have a few minutes of working time. I either use aleens fabric fusion or loon hard head. They smell less and no messy mixing. Both are very strong and if you a multiple coats they make a beautiful head. I spin them on a drying wheel.

Jeremy

Use the 30 minute. Mixing is not messy. Post-it note and bodkin. Two blobs of equal size and mix. How messy is that. When you are done put the Post-it note aside and check the post-it note to see if it's dry not the fly. It takes all of 2 minutes to dispense the epox and mix. Put your fly in the wheel and your done.

On the types of flies he wants to do, the epoxy is covering the eyes and creating a hard head on the fly. You need more than SH or a glue.

Agree with the others that 5 minute will yellow in the sun. You can often find 30 minute epoxy at hobby shops where they sell model kits (planes, cars, etc). I also use Aileen's Fabric Fusion a lot. You need a few coats to build up the head since it is water based and some evaporates as it dries so the head shrinks as it dries. It doesn't yellow and is cheap and easy to work with. UV glues work well too and are very easy to handle but can be a bit more expensive.

On the types of flies he wants to do, the epoxy is covering the eyes and creating a hard head on the fly. You need more than SH or a glue.

attachicon.gifstreamer type.jpg

BINGO...That's exactly what I want to do! I'll see what I can find here in a day or two. Thanks everyone for your insight and suggestions!!!!