Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

In Regards to Fly-Fishing Articles...

Hi Carson. Personally, I am an addict of this blog that tackles topics related to Slovenian fly fishing adventures. I love reading about certain fishing destinations, fish species and most of all I love reading about fishing tips and tricks. hope this helps. Check out the blog here http://www.govic.si/en/Blog.aspx

Hopefully your California Fly Fisher magazine consists of articles which are better all around than the current crop of "major" outdoors magazines such as F&S and OL, or even a majority of fly fishing rags. It seems as if today's standards for articles have kept pace with the attention span of a typical teen... a normal article is a page and a half or two at most, well over 50% pictures, and short little bits of information. Contrast that with the same magazines of even 20 years ago, when articles were filled with specifics, and lasted long enough for the reader to actually LEARN something. I have some old outdoor magazines from the 1950's, 40's, and 30's- THOSE were well written!

In a regional magazine, why NOT give some specifics about locations and techniques which work there? Not everyone who reads it will be a local. If I read one more article about guide-worship or fishing private water, I think I'll vomit.

And, Mr. Whitefish, asking the audience-at-large an open ended question is a sure way to get any manner of foolish responses from people who should stay quiet.... including me.

One further thought. Ask the editor or guidelines, Number of Words, style, how he wants the piece submitted, that kind of thing. Give him exactly what he asks for.

Cheers,

C.