Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hellgrammite

Patterns/Books for Belgium/Western Europe?

Hello folks.

So, upon examination, looks like my new fishing locale will be... Belgium, with possible forays into Germany and/or France.

Well. Being from the NE United States, I have no idea what sort of flies/methods are used/workable there, though I have to imagine a hare's ear nymph or a buggy wet will still do the work. ANYWAY! I do like to read, so, anyone have any idea on fly fishing/tying books or fishing entomology works for western Europe (Belgium, France, Germany)? I have to imagine the insects will not be too dramatically different from those in the UK, but some must be, yes?

Hello Hellgrammite.

Sorry that i can´t help much, but....

There are a few books in french.

I can barely order a coffee, so i haven´t read any of them.

If you look for Tony Burnand, there should be some info.

Old books though, and i am not sure how much entomology is in there.

But, you should find the patterns for the Europea series. I will admit, i only use one of them.

If you want the patterns, i have them.

Not very detailed, but enough to make the flies.

A monster huge book is: "The Mayflies of Europe" by Ernst Bauernfeind.

Not a cheap book though, and no patterns at all.

Your flies will do fine here though, the fish here aren´t more clever than the US fish :)

There are definitely flies you have in US we don't. But the majority of US patterns work on my UK fish. I would recommend Stan Headleys book, flies of Scotland but only cause I think its a handy book.

I think you may find the style of angling a bigger change. From the UK it seems Czech nymphing is a huge technique Europe side. Also if you are near some lakes there should be some great pike fishing.

As said in another thread, we have very few predatory species, pike and perch are only real ones. Europe have more zander which will be good on a fly. Our species are more in the carp family and you may be fishing more imitative patterns than you currently do??

I'm totally jealous. Apart from being that near the French which I don't envy I'd love to be in your shoes.

Thank you for the replies all! My french is awful, but I speak quite good spanish, so I can usually make my way reading french OK. I will look for those titles.

I am extremely excited! Where I live now it is an hour to so-so trout water, 3 hours to A+ water.

It will be, oh, an hour or so to the Ardennes....!

Again, I say you should contact Hans Weilenman in Holland (not too far from Belgium). I would guess that he would be a great resource. From what I've heard, he is a very nice man and a great fly tyer.

Yes Hans can be messaged through this site or his own and has been very helpful when I have contacted him.

Here are four books that might be useful, the first in English, the second and third in French, and the last in Dutch. Good luck with the Dutch.

Goddard, Trout Flies of Britain and Europe

Pequegnot, French Fishing Flies

Ducloux & Ragonneau, Mouches de Peche: L'encyclopedie

Martel, Belgische Vliegen

I think you can find all on the second-hand market.

I vacationed in Belgium in the mid-90's, and we stayed at an inn in the Ardennes, with a lovely trout stream - the Semois - behind it. I had a rod and a couple of fly boxes with me, but had thrown my back out right after arriving in Brussels. Could barely walk, so I couldn't fish, but I did manage to hobble down to the river, using my rod tube as a cane, and watch rising trout and grayling in the evenings. I hope to return some day.

Here are four books that might be useful, the first in English, the second and third in French, and the last in Dutch. Good luck with the Dutch.

Goddard, Trout Flies of Britain and Europe

Pequegnot, French Fishing Flies

Ducloux & Ragonneau, Mouches de Peche: L'encyclopedie

Martel, Belgische Vliegen

I think you can find all on the second-hand market.

I vacationed in Belgium in the mid-90's, and we stayed at an inn in the Ardennes, with a lovely trout stream - the Semois - behind it. I had a rod and a couple of fly boxes with me, but had thrown my back out right after arriving in Brussels. Could barely walk, so I couldn't fish, but I did manage to hobble down to the river, using my rod tube as a cane, and watch rising trout and grayling in the evenings. I hope to return some day.

Thank you so much!! I hope you do make it back. Beautiful country!