Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Betty

Biloxi Marsh

Last week I fished in the Biloxi Marsh with my close friend Perry, the Arctic blast that gripped the country hit the fishing and us big time. Temps were warm when we arrived so there were tornado warnings, wind and oh yea rain. As expected the first day was blown out with north winds from 25 to 30 mph, early morning rain and cloudy then a hard freeze. The second day was breezy, bright cloudless skies, very cold and we found small fish willing to keep the skunk off the boat. The next day again there were bright clear skies and temps climbing near 58 degrees feeling like 60 later in the day. The fishing was great with action all day long the fish were in the 20s all the way up to 30 pounds, my friend, the guide and me all hooked up all at the same time. It was like the Keystone Cops..... great fun! The last day had real good fishing again with teen size fish to 30lbs under tough conditions due to cold water from over night. The fish were on the bottom and very spooky flushing out like a rocket if the rod moved, as temps climbed throughout the day the fish were on the prowl. Big bull redfish rushing the fly mouth open it a sight to behold, the gills flare and the fly is sucked in....strip strike and hang on.

post-18342-0-43878000-1417066474_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-59541400-1417066496_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-09206200-1417066515_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-11897100-1417066534_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-43976300-1417066583_thumb.jpg

I have never seen pictures of reds this big either.

Glad you had such a good trip :)

Love fishing the south coast for the bull run. Looks like yall had a blast. Hoping to take a few days off in December and go to Venice to try it out.

Here's a articulated crab fly (that's what someone else called it so I'll roll with that) that was hot on the flats. Bunny strip, silicone legs, lead eyes and body of wig hair.

post-18342-0-46424000-1417966815_thumb.jpg

Betty, nice fish. Hey, what hook sizes were you guys using for those brutes. I am heading down that way next month. Been tying up a bunch of toad style crab flies in the #1 to 2/0 range. Is that about right? Thanks.

Betty, nice fish. Hey, what hook sizes were you guys using for those brutes. I am heading down that way next month. Been tying up a bunch of toad style crab flies in the #1 to 2/0 range. Is that about right? Thanks.

I tye on 1/0 and 2/0 hooks, keeping it simple by tying flys with EP Brush in purple, chartruse, orange/black and some big white shrimp(4" to 5"). I like to use magnum bunny strip for a tail in a lot of my flys. Here's one that was used on the last trip. I like the use of silicone legs and rattles in your popper for sure.

post-18342-0-21647000-1421549712_thumb.jpg

I tye on 1/0 and 2/0 hooks, keeping it simple by tying flys with EP Brush in purple, chartruse, orange/black and some big white shrimp(4" to 5"). I like to use magnum bunny strip for a tail in a lot of my flys. Here's one that was used on the last trip. I like the use of silicone legs and rattles in your popper for sure.

Got it. Thanks. Hopefully I will have some pics worth showing.