Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Alabama rig

Is this the formation Bama is going to use this weekend against MIZZOU?

s.

It might be in the play book ... but since no one in 'Bama knows how to read, they won't use it.

Having lived in Southeast Alabama for four years, this is one topic I can speak to with a tiny bit of authority. There are, in fact, 37 people in Alabama who can read, but none of them give a crap about football.

Back on topic, fly fishing is not gear fishing. I have always got a chuckle from people trying to change fly fishing into gear fishing- tying flies (lures, whatever you choose to call them) to try to imitate spinning and casting lures. Not to imitate the life forms which lures are made to suggest, but to imitate the lures themselves. Tie however many streamers you want on your leader, you will NOT imitate the vibration, sound, and feel of a gang of spinner blades.

That's the fallacy of fly tiers imitating hard lures- We don't completely understand fish's senses, lateral line, vision, etc. We often say of flies with large heads or heavy hackle that they "push water" and are easier for fish to "feel" in certain circumstances- with the exception of surface poppers, we don't really KNOW if that is the variable which causes a fish to bite.

Any hardware lure with spinner blades which vibrate, hard body sides which vibrate, rattles which vibrate along with everything else, hooks hanging from wire split rings which vibrate, all of that, is nearly impossible to recreate with a "fly" on a fly rod.

One of my favorite fishing quotes is from Ray Bergman back in the day... "There are bug days, and there are plug days"

I have a Ray Bergman book on my shelf somewhere that includes a yellow colored wet fly--a Yellow Sally I think--with a clevis and spinner blade built in up front. As part of the fly. I use slow wobble Colorado Spinner blades a lot. I twist them up myself with a spiral spring way to open and close a wire loop at the rear end, so I can put it in front of any wet fly. Works surprisingly well at times. And surprisingly not well at other times. It's just another tool that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

The link below is an interesting wiggler article dating back to the early 1990s on Nelson's Spring Creek. I never did get it published. One publisher, now retired said: "I'm afraid the readers would rebel." I don't write magazine articles anymore but I did publish close to 20 during the 1980s. There are no written rules about what is acceptable and what is verboten. But you learn pretty quickly from the mix of acceptance letters, which always come from the chief editor and the form-like rejection letters, which are always signed by an assistant deputy editor.

The acceptance letters usually include some bit of complementary feedback where the editor tells you what it was about your work caught his attention. The rejection letters almost never included feedback. Usually just a dry one sentence response that says something about "doesn't meet the needs of our current editorial goals." John's "The readers might rebel" response was the only time I ever got any real rejection feedback. And the only time the rejection came from the editor himself.

==> Flyrod Wiggler Article <==

Palmed-wiggler.jpg

When readers declare "That's not fly fishing!" I just grin. Makes no difference to me. In Montana there are no fly fishing only waters. At least not on public land. Bob Auger, former stream keeper at DePuy Spring Creek once declared, when someone challenged me at the Betty's Place culvert (now just above Buzz's little fly shop), as I was releasing a nice 20" brown caught on a small wiggler: "It's made of feathers and fly tying materials and Sandy made it by hand. So it's a fly as far as I'm concerned."

Is this the formation Bama is going to use this weekend against MIZZOU?

s.

It might be in the play book ... but since no one in 'Bama knows how to read, they won't use it.

Ha!

s.

Places that sell spinner making stuff typically sell high quality and cheap bargain basement spinner blades. The cheap ones are made from thin brass. They're a lot lighter and far better for making lightweight flyrod spinners you can cast.

I agree with Mr. salmobytes - with wobbler-flies we try to imitate not plugs but live fish. These "flies" work well, especially in situations when a regular streamer will fail (dirty water, laze fish, etc.).

post-34261-0-17482200-1417769401_thumb.jpg

Here is another interesting way the plug makers have emulated a school. This looks a lot like the same concept as Popovic's schoolie.

post-18514-0-95588100-1417790100_thumb.jpg

To me it looks like something better suited for catching fishermen than fish, especially at $14 a pop. I haven't tried them though so they may work wonders

Here is another interesting way the plug makers have emulated a school. This looks a lot like the same concept as Popovic's schoolie.

attachicon.gifpDSP1-19060413p275w.jpg

To me it looks like something better suited for catching fishermen than fish, especially at $14 a pop. I haven't tried them though so they may work wonders

I've seen those, and I think they'd be great, if you're targeting schooling bass. I am pretty sure you're correct that it's going to catch more anglers than fish.