Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Chell's frog

Okay ... it was requested, so I sat down and did one.

Here's the steps for my frog.

Recipe: foam, congo hair, thread, glue and hook.

Make a template (see my Soda Can minnow SBS for that). Cut the "top" foam about a 1/4 inch or so longer than the "Underside" foam. Cut the belly foam in an eye shape.

Tie congo hair for the legs. Rear legs individually, front legs as one piece.

Start thread and wrap back to just in front of hook point.

Tie in "top" foam, then "underside" foam. If your two pieces looked like mine in the second picture, then you'll tie these ends even. Trim excess.

Tie in rear legs. Try to keep them high on each side. This end of the frog sits lower in the water and the legs will look better if tied in high.

Wrap thread forward to finish securing legs. then tie in belly foam. I apply some superglue at this time, to all the thread.

Fold belly foam back, wrap forward to 1/4 inch from hook eye. Figure eight in the front legs.

Tie in belly and underside foam with a couple of wraps.

Then tie in top foam and trim excess.

Wrap "head" to secure front edge of foam. Whip finish and superglue all exposed thread. I also put a drop at each fron tleg to help them stay "forward reaching."

You are both welcome. I've been out with this frog a couple of times now, and have noticed three things.

(1) It is very wind resistant. It's not easy to get a long cast, so be prepared for fishing a little closer to targets.

(2) It is very wind resistant ... and this time I mean, it tends to twist up the line. About every 5th cast or so, I will pick up the leader and frog from the water, and let it untwist a bit. Not doing this allows the line to twist up and "air knot".

(3) I like the action more and more each time. I've yet to get into some big bass, but I've caught something on it every time out.

This is a really cool looking frog! I will be tying me a few of these.Thanks for posting this mike.

Have you tried one of these with a small swivel in front of it?Just wonder if it would eliminate the line twist.

A swivel probably would do the trick. Before this, I'd rarely fish a fly this large, so I am just learning about "line twist".

I use a "straight" piece of mono for my leader/tippet, so I have thought of attaching a small swivel to the fly line. That would cure line twist, and keep any weight or "gear" off the front of the fly.

If I decide to do either, I'll let you know if it works.

If you do decide on a swivel, check out Spro swivels. The are so tiny they just about float, actually if you get really bored you probably could set one down gently enough so it would not break surface tension. They are really strong, spin freely, plus are nowhere near the cost of quality ball bearing swivels.

You may also try a heavier leader/tippet (or "homeboy" leader in your case) to avoid twist. It won't help if you have a real helicopter but if the fly is just "inclined" too spin it could knock it down to a mild roar. Heavier line is easier to untwist/tangle too IMO. It's a good thing bass don't really care if you use 30# test or 8x most days...

Great fly design BTW. I love the foam loop that must trap a bucket full of air. I think I might steal that to make some snake/diver flies to throw into the spaterdock down in the glades for bass or for snook/tarpon along the mangroves. Can't wait for the water to drop just a little more in the Everglades it's gonna be a hoot again!

A swivel probably would do the trick. Before this, I'd rarely fish a fly this large, so I am just learning about "line twist".

I use a "straight" piece of mono for my leader/tippet, so I have thought of attaching a small swivel to the fly line. That would cure line twist, and keep any weight or "gear" off the front of the fly.

If I decide to do either, I'll let you know if it works.