Fly Tying

Im looking at possibly getting a 2wt for small stream fishing but would like some questions answered first before i decide on it. I know that a small rod like this isn't going to have the power to cast large flys but i was wondering how large of flys can you cast?? Are they capable of casting say a size 10 woolly bugger or other similar sized streamers. Size 10 is as big as i would want to go on the streams i intend to use this rod on. Also how do they manage with strike indicators. Again nothing huge, probably yarn and small football indicators. Those of you that have a 2wt, what do you think of its casting abilities?

Thanks

I have a 6'6" 2wt built on a tiger-eye blank. I've cast larger flies (stimulator, hoppers), indicators, and small streamers (like size 10, 12) with it. It isn't pretty. The 2wt is not the right tool for the job but if you've hit the small stream planning to cast small dries and wets for trout and suddenly realize you want to swing a small streamer or nymph a deeper pool you use what you got with you. Open loops and take it easy casting the larger stuff, adjust your casting stroke to accommodate as best you can. When fishing my 2wt I found my worst enemy is wind.

you can definitely pull it off. Not a problem especially if you not making long casts. It will perform the best with small dries and such but there is no law against throwing on a wooly bugger and seeing what happens.

I can't really disagree with what's already been said. A 2wt is for small fish in small streams, Small fish, up to 8", suggest the use of small flies, i.e. 12 to 14 or smaller. A size 10 leach, or similar shouldn't be a problem, but if you try to throw a bushy, size 6, conehead bugger, you'll likely scare the daylights out of the fish!

I once built a Forecast 2/3wt for small streams, but I didn't really like it. It was too fast, even with a 3wt line, and would send 3"-4" flying into the next county when I set the hook. I now use a 7' 4wt bamboo rod on small streams, and am much happier with it.

I have had a winston 7.5 foot 2wt for over a decade and it handles the flies you are describing just fine. Small indicators (like palsa pinch-ons) are no problem, neither is a little lead and two smallish nymphs. I consistently catch 16-inch trout on it without any trouble, and have got some upwards of 20.

My advice is that if you fish for small to medium sized trout on small water a 2wt is great, provided you don't plan on throwing something too outlandishly big (streamer or BIG bushy dries).

I have the tendency of throwing oversized flies no matter the weight of rod. I have thrown a size 8-6 zonkers and non-weighted buggers with my 5' 2wt rod and have "lobbed" out size 10-8 coneheaded woolies when feeling frisky for small stream bass and sunfish in a stream near my parents home. I just had trouble casting due to the length of the rod versus the weight, but it is a blast to catch any size fish on.

Fish for Life,

Why a 2wt line rather than a more easily found, often cheaper 3wt line?

I build and fish small-creek rods, i.e., as short as 4’8”. But I’ve found that 2wt lines are nearly useless for anything much bigger than a #10 Madam X or Skwala Stone, much less Buggers, etc. Yeah, a cast with a 2wt line can be done. But it isn’t fun.

If you're wanting to throw big bugs, but want a light "feel", focus on the blank used to build the rod --and, for sure, skip putting a conventional reel seat on it, so weight can be saved-- and then match a line to the rod, rather than the other way around. (IMO, 'natch)

Charlie

I guess I am different from most on the capabilities of a small 2wt rod. This is a pic of my wife with a 6' 2wt tigereye tied into an 8# carp on a #12 weighted crystal white bugger

Patsfirstcarp002.jpgPatsfirstcarp003.jpg

Ata boy Goduster and wife.......I personally have found my TFO 2wt to be very capable of handling flies and streamers and poppers considerably larger than #10. I even use lightly weighted flies with bead chain and small lead barbells. My 2wt is on the fast side as are most graphites made today. My 3wt glass Eagle Claw and 5wt Fenwick also do a fine job. The rod is probably more than capable if you are. It is true that not all rods are created equal.

Fish for Life,

If your heart really and truly is set on getting a 2wt rod, because you think it might be useful, fun, or worthwhile, take a look at the reviews in the following link.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_Shoot-Out/2-Weight_Shoot-Out.htm

I've owned and have built some 2wts. But I've ceased fishing with them, because I think they are a waste of time and money compared to the greater versility of a decent 3wt.

Rod length, OTOH, is crucial, and even more important is the blank chosen and how the rod is built and lined. (IMO, 'natch)

Charlie

Seems there are two questions. One is about what it is possible to do with a 2wt, another is if the 2wt is the best tool for the job. I could use my 8wt to fish for small trout in a small stream and it could toss my nymph out there and catch a fish, however I'd prefer to grab my 3wt. Same for fishing larger streamers or fighting bigger fish. I was a 2wt and a 3wt, but they wouldn't be my first choice. They'd work in a pinch if I only had the 2wt on hand.

I basically answered as to the capabilities of a 2 wt. If I fish an area for trout of any size, regardless of size of fly, I would probably use something heavier to avoid any long term playing or stress on the fish. Capt, Talapia, catfish and bass are not subject to that stress as much, so the thrill comes in the fight on lite tackle. I also have a 0 and 1wt for small streams and creeks where the fish are predominately in the 6 to 10" size.

Thanks for the input so far guys. With some different opinions on the matter ill face you with a slightly different question. Im not sure if a 2wt is the best for the situation i want it for, so ill describe the situations im wanting this rod for.

I currently have a 9' 5wt and it had been a great rod but i am wanting something better suited for the streams i am fishing. The 5wt at times feels big and bulky, its to long for where im using it and it overpowers the fish, and in most cases the flies. I want a nice light small stream rod. Something that i will be able to use in tight conditions. The streams that i would be using this rod on are mostly small mountain streams. In general not very wide, and in most situations rather short casts are required. Although i still want to be able to make a decent length cast without to much trouble when needed. 80% of the time i will be fishing a size 16 nymph with a foam or yarn indicator on a 9 foot leader. No split shots and very rarely a multie fly rig. 20% of the time I do however want to be able to cast something like a size 10 bugger or small hopper. size 10 would generally be the biggest i would use. The fish average 5-7 inches, although there are chances of getting something bigger. Not sure how big but i know there are some lunkers in there. I want to be able to feel these small fish fight, unlike the 5wt.

I think ive covered everything. Let me know if ive missed something that need clarifying.

Its between a 2wt and a 3wt. Mostly likely in a 7'6" length. What are you thoughts. Which one would be better suited for me and why?

Thanks

While my preference in those conditions would still be the 2wt, you would more than likely be adequately pleased with the 3wt.My wife's go to rod in those conditions is a 7'6" 3wt. In the pic of her that I posted she had her 3wt with her, but was fishing with my 2wt while I was tying on a different fly for her. Also keep in mind that I am a custom rod builder and have everything from a owt to a 14wt in my arsenal, and I do like to play. I was generally answering as to the capabilities of a 2wt.

Overall consensus for you if you came to me requesting a build, I would most likely recommend a 3 wt for you. I also have a 8' 7pc 3wt that stays in my truck with me all the time just in case an occasion happened to present itself to me while venturing around and not really going specifically on a fishing expedition. (Pond, canal, creek, stream, mud puddle, large aquarium, etc)