Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
challisman

Quality hooks on the cheap

Awhile ago Tidewaterfly stated he knew a great source for some good quality but inexpensive hooks. TW would you let us in on the secret? Thanks, challisman

Challis.. you'd stand a better chance of his seeing your query if you'd post it in the fly tying forum. This is the intro for new members forum.

Thanks FlaFly. I am new to this website and appreciate your advice. However, i am new and here's a little info about me. I have been fly fishing and tying since 1975. Live close to the salt water on the East Coast and have a place in the Rockies also. This is my sport and hobby and what keeps my engine running. I recently got reinterested in soft hackle flys. I also have a couple of killer patterns which produce everywhere I fish and would be happy to share them. I also like to meet and fish with new people. I have a great spouse who fishes with me and supports all of my solo fishing as well. Well, that tells you a lot about this retired guy. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

challisman

The two best sources I've found are Allen's Fly Fishing, which many here already know about, and hardydeluxe on Ebay, which I'm sure many also know about. Both have been mentioned by others in the past.

There's also an Ebay seller who sells larger lots of various types. Goes by the seller name ms.cecil. I bought a couple of lots of hooks from them & have been very happy with them. For example I bought 500 streamer & nymph/wet fly hooks in various styles & quantities (they provide a list of what is included in each lot) and I believe I paid about $25 for them. That's not "cheap", it's $5 per 100, but not bad either comparatively. You can find cheaper deals, but this is a good way to stock up all at once on IMO a better quality hook ( compared to the old Mustad's) without going to different sources.

Now, if you're extremely particular, you may not want to try these. I know some folks are very brand loyal, as they get a better hook that meets their needs. Opinions on what we all are willing to buy vary. I certainly like using the better brands & high quality, but am not against trying different sources.

I suspect I know where these hooks are being produced, but not sure about them all. Hardydeluxe lists some brand names with some of his, but not all. IMO, these are great sources for budget minded or beginning tiers, as well as experienced tiers who don't want to spend a small fortune on brands like Daiichi or Tiemco. Both of which are great hooks if you're either willing to pay the price or can find deals on them.

The first two also have saltwater hooks & some larger size hooks that those tying bass flies may like. smile.png

BTW, challisman, welcome to the site! biggrin.png

Yes... welcome. East coast of what? (I'm west coast of Florida, as you might have guessed).

Fact is, the best bet for obtaining hooks is simply spending the time shopping around & comparing, if price is a big concern. Generally, the various tackle & fly shops all sell similar hooks & prices are often very similar. There can be a wide range in prices, but it's still about pennies per hook, not dollars. I try to buy hooks when I find them cheaper, especially on sale or closeout or discontinued. I browse Ebay quite a bit & have found some very good deals. I'm not especially particular about brand names, and will try new sources or various unfamiliar brands.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I suspect many of these "house" branded hooks may be coming from the same manufacturer. I believe some of them may be Maruto hooks. Maruto is actually Japan's oldest hook maker, but they're not as well known as other brands. There are some hooks being produced in China & Korea now too. I think that Matzuo hooks are produced in Korea. So far, I'm not a big fan of their hooks, but there are some models I like for tying. None of them are "fly" hooks however.

Relatively speaking, hooks are not expensive compared to other products we buy. Hooks can get expensive when we start tying a lot & buying a lot.

I'll try any hook to see if I like it for my tying purposes regardless of price & that's the best way & only way to find out. wink.png