Fly Tying
FlaFly

crappie streamers

A while back I received a lot of input from members regarding streamers and other wet flies that I could use for crappie. Up until now I've always fished with surface flies for bluegills, never a wet fly. So I tried my hand at a couple.

The first one, black and blue (I call it fats waller) is four hen hackles wings, and blue marabou throat. I had wanted to make a white marabou streamer but I don't have any white marabou. Anyway folks say black and purple are effective, so here's my compromise.

The second is made of white and pink fake wool (or maybe real wool... I can't be sure) from two feather dusters. You'll also see a thread of red marabou in the middle.

I tried a clouser but screwed it up, so that's yet to come. Anyway thanks to all for your input. I'll try to use as much of it as possible.

post-52210-0-53880100-1418328530_thumb.jpg

post-52210-0-45508600-1418328609_thumb.jpg

Until you put those in the water and see if they get hits ... I can't think of anything "bad" to say.

I'd fish those ... and I'll bet you'll get some hits the first time out.

I would think that lightly weighted jigs in smaller sizes --8-10s?-- tied with white/yellow/black maribou or bucktails with a bit of flash would be all you would need. Cast them toward cover, let them sink, twitch and hold on.

Rocco

It took me a while to find it but I found this pic on my phone. I use this pattern on river crappies close to where I live in Ohio and have caught hundreds upon hundreds of crappies on this pattern:

IMG_8846_zps18ce76e3.jpg

It's a 5-6 minute tie, very easy, very simple, very durable. Here's the recipe:

Hook: size 6 4XL streamer hook

Weight: brass dumbells (use bead chain for a "shallow" version with less weight)

Tail: white zonker strip

Body: Ice Chenille or similar product like Estaz

Legs: Couple of rubber legs over the top (over hook point, it rides point up)

The Ohio River trib I fish has a little bit of everything, and this pattern has caught about all of them. Crappies, all three bass species in my area, catfish, sauger, other panfish...all have been caught on this fly.

Those don't look crappie at all. Ha ha.

Just a note of interest. I went 150 miles inland in Belize once. To see exotic jungle birds. Which we saw lots of. Great place. Blackrock Lodge on the Macaw River. And another more expensive place called Chan Chich.

At Blackrock I did a day trip in a canoe with Everil paddling from the rear and me tossing crappie streamers up on the bank, into pockets between thick jungle bushes, to catch Tuba (pronounced tooooo Bah with accent on bah). Which are like giant bluegills with a big lump on their forehead. Fun fish. Fight like a steer and taste good too. And as a bonus I also caught a few inland freshwater snook. For those I think you want a bigger streamer. But a few of them took my little tuba flies. Small streamers are good for trout too. A lot better than most people realize.

In late afternoons on mountain spring creeks, after any mid-day hatches are over, most fishermen either go home or fish smaller and smaller and smaller hoppers and beetle patterns. And generally get skunked. But if you fish tiny streamers (maybe even smaller that crappie size) you can have very good fishing. Almost nobody does it. And it is by far the best way to catch spring creek fish---------after the hatch.

I especially like the white and pink one. The black and blue may work well if too. I just never have used much blue. I really like cream's fly too. It is what I use in the salt for specks and know as a schminnow though the schminnow does not have the legs. I do use estaz for the body. I have a few tied up for sweet water too but have yet to try them and I also have other colors. ( tan, rusty brown, olive) What size are you tying them in?.....I think real small ones would work great for lots of fish. You can also add a little flash to the tail. Sometimes the fishies like more flash so maybe a body of silver or gold chenille might be good. Up here pink can be good too. Maybe a pink body and white tail or vise-versa......

Is that white wool on the second streamer off of a Walmart duster? If it is when you wet it the stuff gets very translucent.

Sorry... I should have said: They are both on Gainakatsu B10S size 6 (wide gap), and I used tinsel as body for both, although it will likely never be visible in the water.

I've caught crappie on simple white feather jigs for years but still like to vary it around. I find they'll hit just about any colors but can get selective. One of the recent ties I've done is the Cypret Minnow. Kind of hard to categorize it as a streamer but it is interesting and is a supposed to be a white bass killer in TX. And by winding an underbody of flouro green or red it can be made to glow in UV, meaning it should in sunlight.

th_DSC00919_zpsfbd68e5e.jpg

th_DSC00921_zps55f23635.jpg

And those shots above linked to PB instead of just thumbs getting big so I've more to learn. Here's one that's always caught me fish from crappie to 'gills to bass and trout and salmon but some don't like it since it's not a "fly" in their eyes. If this doesn't produce crappie when you know they're there, add a strip of white fly pork rind and if that doesn't produce, go home or elsewhere. They're not hitting.

DSC00926_zps7d9f2800.jpg

When I was a teenager I had a job as a laborer helping unload furniture, for a truck driver. Just the two of us. We fished on weekends a few times. For croppie. From a tin boat. Using live minnows. The truck driver put the first one on a stringer and plopped it overboard and looked me straight in the eyes and said "don't tell anyone I did that."

We then proceeded to catch the whole school. I guess it's illegal. For a good reason. But it is the kind of thing you never forget. They sure are good to eat.

Sorry... I failed to answer questions:

Ditz... my dusters were from Publix Market. Haven't wet them yet but I can easily do that in the kitchen sink.

VicRider.... what is your cypert minnow made of? Looks like a minnow I just posted on another thread called Go2 Minnow.

Pretty simple FF. Bead chain eyes tied on first. Then chenille tied in back and brought up and around one side of eye, back and tied, then brought up and around other side of bead chain. Tie off and trim. This give a nice channel top and bottom for braid. I used cored braid, cut to size and pull core out. Punch eye of hook thru braid FIRST, then pull top and bottom back, trim one side and feather out other side. I put a tied head in front, then put a dab of super glue on body to help hold together. I only hope they work as good as the stories I've read on them.

http://www.texasriverbum.com/tying-the-super-cypret-minnow