Fly Tying
LuciV

Catgut Micro Nymphs

Here is a nymph with a fantastic look, more closer to the natural ones is the nymph tied with catgut biothread.

This material looks fantastic when gets wet :

step-7-micro-baetis-nymph-tied-with-trou

and wet

step-7-micro-baetis-nymph-tied-with-trou

another one tied with different body thread:

olive-dry-micro-nymph-tied-with-troutlin

and the same fly when is wet

olive-wet-micro-nymph-tied-with-troutlin

one with brown thread

brown-dry-micro-nymph-tied-with-troutlin

and the same catgut nymph when is wet

brown-wet-micro-nymph-tied-with-troutlin

micro-french-nymphs-for-trout-and-grayli

The step by step about how to tie this catgut nymph is here.

best,

Lucian

Looks really good wet ... but I have a question.

Does that catgut material then dry out again? I've tried a few flies with leather, and after a wet/dry cycle, it wasn't good for a second time. It was a one time use material.

Is this material like that?

Looks really good wet ... but I have a question.

Does that catgut material then dry out again? I've tried a few flies with leather, and after a wet/dry cycle, it wasn't good for a second time. It was a one time use material.

Is this material like that?

Hi,

The material will dry when the fly will stay in box, of course. But this is not a problem, the fly will get the translucent aspect when will swim again, the material is very resistant, is difficult to be destroyed :)

It is probably the most durable fly tied with natural materials

Cool.....I assume these are quite small. What is dubbing?

Thanks,

Is tied on #16 but can be tied on smaller hooks without any problem. The dubbing is Mad Rabbit Dubbing.

Cheers,

Lucian

Mike, to explain a little further the cat gut is stretchy when wet. It is normal to tie with the cat gut well wetted (its too stiff to wind otherwise). The expansion when wet is not sufficient to make the dressing loose. There is no problem then like you had with the leather.

For anyone wanting to give this a go one of the best sources for gut is to keep an eye out for an old tennis racket in a thrift / charity shop. One will provide a lifetimes supply.

Cheers,

C.

Material sounds a bit too persnickety to deal with to me. Suspect the same nymph without the catgut would fish just as well.

Yes, a lot of nymphs work excelent but sometimes a few work better. Think that with this type of nymph Marek from Poland became World Champion...

Of course that you will find a lot of interesting materials on the market, of course that all our nymphs, in general, are similars between them, but sometimes a special material can make the difference between a common fishing day and "that fantastic day "...

cheers,

Lucian

there was some talk a while back, maybe 2 or 3 years ago (?) about some "bio" material someone was going to start marketing, a thread/cord like material made from some sort of natural animal material which got chewy and apparently tasted good when wet. I don't remember who said they were going to do it, but they were offering free samples, I don't think they ever followed through with it.

These look nice and have a great wet look. I wonder if catgut biothread is exactly the same as surgical catgut? I use surgical catgut, same as I use in surgery, and it works great with a very natural appearance. I've wrapped some and woven some and like both. It has been a while since I used this material, but now that you've posted these, I'm going to pull it out and use it again.

I am weaving a lot now and think it really makes some realistic bodies. Another material that makes and gives a great realistic look is horse mane. I am a veterinarian so I can get both the catgut and mane pretty easily. Catgut isn't used as much as in the past since synthetic materials have come into favor, but I still use it for some things and can order quantities for both surgery and tying.

Post more when you them tied!

Ray

Hi Ray,

Use what you have (biothread is surgical catgut but have a different treatment to be more resistant) and you'll love it. :)

Great flies, Lucian! One of my go-to nymphs now is Davie McPhail's Catgut Caddis Pupa. Fantastic material and very easy to work with. The catgut color that you have used here, I assume, is the natural. Great effects with the different color thread underbody. Have you used the different colors that catgut comes in for different effects on these flies?

Joe