Fly Tying
LuciV

Catgut Micro Nymphs

Crackaid... do they still have gut tennis strings? I played with gut years ago, but nowadays there are synthetics that perform as well as gut did, but are more durable (for tennis). CatGut is actually part of the membrane that surrounds the intestines of (usually) sheep, where membranes from two sides come together. From a tennis point of view, gut strings got worn easily from friction with the ball, especially on a clay court, and would soon break. If they got wet, they'd break even sooner. That probably wouldn't be an issue with wrapping flies.

Warning, though: if you go looking for gut tennis strings be aware that they used synthetic "gut" for years, and most people won't know the difference. Also if you look for a used racquet in a resale shop like Goodwill, it will almost certainly be strung with nylon. Some concert-level musicians use gut strings in harps, cellos, etc., but they're pricey.

I have played with gut tennis racket string but found it does not work very well on flies smaller than 10-12. I might try splitting it some to see if that helps. Even wetting the full diameter gut does not make it much easier to tie in and work with.

Another point about using old tennis rackets, very few used natural gut unless you find a really old one. From at least the 1960's most people used synthetic strings due to cost and durability consideration.

Steve

What a great idea! Especially for those out there afflicted with cats! Another use beyond 'sail cats'.

Rocco

Kevin Compton of Performance Flies out of Pennsylvania (I think) carries it along with many other European products. They are presently out of a few colors and sizes of the catgut. Great company.

http://www.performanceflies.com/product-p/lv-cg.htm

Joe

Catgut suture material and surgical glove material are completely different. I'm sure you know that, but both an be used. Glove material can easily be cut into strips to wrap bodies like the stretch body materials. Catgut would be more like Larva Lace but it is tougher (when dry) and doesn't really stretch much. You can make some very realistic bodies, wrapped or woven, using it. And when wet, it is near natural.

I like your work LuciV, and just ordered some product from Troutline. Think that catgut and synthetic quill will work well out here.

Thanks,

Doug

I tried this with dental suture a dentist friend gave me on a 16 wet fly hook. The suture is about 12" long and will tie a lot of flies so long as you limit the waster. Results were great, I think. Green and red underbody. I belive the grade of suture was 3/0. Got to soak the gut before you wind it. Dentists and others use gut because it is absorbed in the body and doesn't need to be removed.

My collar was larger than the one in the example. It takes about 3 inches or less on a size 16 fly which gives you a wrapping tag. My stuff had a needle attached which I had to remove. A rotary vise makes the wrapping a lot easier, although I tied mine on a HMH.

I'd post pictures but can't.

Another option would to be to use a permanat Sharpie to color it, but I don't think it would give the translucence I really like.

Hi Joe,

Sorry for my late reply, I was out for a few days.

I use catgut for more than 10 years for my flies. In East Europe was considered for a long time as secret material for nymphs used in fishing competitions. You can play with natural color and dyed material as well and you can tie an incredible range of flies from pupae to classic nymphs.

cheers

Lucian

Great flies, Lucian! One of my go-to nymphs now is Davie McPhail's Catgut Caddis Pupa. Fantastic material and very easy to work with. The catgut color that you have used here, I assume, is the natural. Great effects with the different color thread underbody. Have you used the different colors that catgut comes in for different effects on these flies?

Joe

Catgut is a interesting material. I found some locally in the form of old violin strings. I choose the smallest at $2.00 a string! I've tied a couple of caddis nymphs Dave McPhail style, with it and they look fairly good. But I'll test them soon and report how they work

My violin gut string didn't quite make it. I would put up a picture or two but the flies aren't that nice.

So could someone advise what size gut I might need for size 14 caddis nymphs? And the best place to purchase. Im in the USA but I don't mind ordering overseas if it makes sense.

As I said in an earlier post, Kevin Compton at Performance Flies has them. I talked to him about 7 weeks ago about being out of a couple of colors and lots of sizes and he said he had just placed an order and should get them in in about 10 days. He still hasn't gotten any, I guess, because they still aren't on the website.

I would use either medium or large for a #14, depending on how segmented and fat you want the nymph. It's great stuff.

Joe