Fly Tying
Kentuckysteve

Simple ties for Bluegill

Yep, they all should help keeping the oil hot in the fly pan. My favorite is the simple panfish bug. Always been a fan of the swept back wing look.

I fished for lake bluegill with flies some, back when I was still in high school--approx the end of the last ice age or so. What struck me then and still does today was how easy they were to catch on some days and how maddeningly difficult on other days. I remember seeing them dimpling at the edges of lily pad islands and thinking "oh boy this will be fun." Only to get skunked. On other days they'd bang small wet flies like addicts let loose in the drug store during a riot.

We had some warm water streams back then, in New Jersey, that also had bluegill, sunfish, rock bass and smallmouth bass. The smallmouths were the biggest prize, with rock bass a close second. The one trick I learned, from a friend, seems to be a trick that works for everything from warm water fish to trout and bonefish too: twitch twitch pause. Twitch twitch pause. With the emphasis on pause.

The simple tie for me is a craft foam spider. A craft foam body with 2 legs tied in. (yellow) Size 14 to 8. If you want to you want to add some chenille to the hook to cover the shank that is OK too but not needed to entice the sunfish. I started my tying hobby many years ago with small poppers but I have found the spiders to better producers day in and day out. Soft hackles are generally two material flies and work well sub surface. .......Some days they like the spiders twitch and pause and some days it you move it at all they just will not hit it so just cast and let it sit.

BTW...those are some nice flies

I really like the Miss Marabou subsurface and Tokyo Spider up top. Stealth bomber with a squirrel nymph tied as a dropper is a killer.

I tied up some foam ants, spiders and such to try and found that they work very good. Seems like I could always find something made of foam that fish would go after. Seems the simpler they are the better they work.

Thanks guys.I agree with you.Some days the fish will hit anything you cast and then there are the days that you have to throw the one fly they are looking for.I like tying the ants and the spiders too.

I find that the ants seem to do better with a hackle wing of some sort rather than a plain ant.The spiders do excellent.I can cast them and let the natural ripple in the water work for me.The least little movement of those rubber legs and the fish take them.....when they want spiders.

Sometimes trying to figure out what they want is the biggest problem I have. Some days I throw everything in my fly box and can't find what they want and sometimes they will hit whatever I throw to them. Trying to figure out what they want is what makes it so much fun.

I have had good luck in the spring using an old steelhead pattern, Silver Hilton. I tie it in bluegill sizes, 10-14 on a 2XL hook. Can't explain why, but the bluegills in my pond really go for them. Tie 2 or 3 on the leader, let the first fish to bite "animate" the others. Retrieve a stringer.

I came up with a little attractor pattern a few winters back that absolutely kills them and is easy/durable. I call it "Nothing Special," because that's what it is.

Hook: sz14 standard nymph hook

Bead: copper (or color of your choice)

Tail: Krystal Flash

Body: micro chenille

Legs: two rubber legs per side

Head: UV Ice Dub

Chartreuse with a black head is the best color combo I have used in that fly.

Cream.....Your choice of color for the nothing special is interesting. Back when I did a lot of UL spinning with beetle spins my choice was black with a bright yellow stripe down the side. It was also the color that few retailers inventoried so when I found them I bought the whole remaining card. More than once I would have day that I just could not keep fish off the black and yellow so I would tie on some different colors and the action would slow considerably. You can imagine what I always tied on first. :)