Fly Tying
chazg

hackle for dry flies

I was contemplating trying some Collins Farms hackle, what I've seen is they come with both saddle and cape together ??!!?? Is this true ?? and how is the quality of his material, I see on his website, his hackle are grade #2. this confuses me greatly, what differs a grade 1 from 2, bronze from silver or red from green...Collins farms is about a 2hr trip from my house, I was considering giving him a call and possibly a ride, I was also on feather imporium, and see they have decent deals on capes, is their material of good quality ??

feather emporium sells hackle from the major growers so the quality of the product is from growers not feather emporium

i have ordered several 1/2 capes from feather emporium and what i have received is of excellent quality (for my fly tying) and customer service

from the collins hackle website

"All capes are sold with their matching saddle patch at no extra charge."

article about collins hackle

http://inpursuitofspotties.blogspot.com/

Hi folks,

"Beginner Brad" here.

I had a few questions which this thread has largely, but not completely, answered.

Its difficult to buy Whiting, or even any hackle sometimes here in Oz other than online from USA. I'm happy to pay the cost for quality product.

So three questions:

1. Recommendations for online sellers ? ( I note feather emporium and jimsflyco - any others ?)

2. Experiences with Whiting high and dry capes ? It sounds about the quality/ price point I'm aiming for - how would this product compare with say bronze grade Herbert Miner ?

3. Would you go with these grade of capes (e.g. high and dry) for tailing and wings of 'basic' patterns (e.g. Adams) or also purchase other winging/tailing products (and if so which ?)

Many thanks,

Brad.

I have in the past purchased from Conranch Hackles and was always very pleased with both the prices and the quality. Denny has retired but he has sold his stock to a company known as Clearwater Hackle. Take a look at their offerings as their pricing is very competitive and if they follow in the tradition of Conranch the quality was always outstanding.

There are dozens of reputable online sources and everyone here has their favorite places to buy things. What I'm saying is that there is no easy answer to your questions. There are many "good" sources. Just do some shopping. One advice is to stay away from the smaller dealers until you get to know them yourself. Like others here on the forum I've had to do a great deal of research and I still don't have a definitive answer for you but I haven't had any bad experiences yet either. Since you are a new tyer, I would focus on buying some hackles that have a general purpose (usage) as possible. Varied sizes in the cape for example. Sticking with Whiting, Metz and others is a good start. J. Stockard is a good place to look as well as the others you mentioned.

Welp, I took the plunge and purchased my first 2 capes..after researching for well over 3 weeks I decided to go with Collins farm. I called Mr. Collins and after about a 45min chat I ordered a grade 3 grizzly and a brown cape to start.. Mr Collins was a real down to earth gentleman with alot of knowledge, he gave me the "beginners" speech which helped me out alot, and also advice on storage of materials. He did not try to sell me anything in a higher grade and reccomend the grade 3 cape because of my tying range. A big plus and selling point was the matching saddles included, he stated he raises his birds for the capes, and does not grow out his saddles like competitors, yet his saddles are perfectly fine for tying drys, just not as long. He gave me a list of the 4 main colors he reccomends for a beginner tier and I wil prob purchase the other 2 colors in a couple of weeks from him..all in all for 2 full capes with matching saddles , a pack of grizzly and a pack of brown spade hackle for tailings my total cost with shipping was $76.50 not too shabby.. the hardest thin was getting a money order (never got one before) and this was because I wanted to hide the purchase price from my wife and didnt want to write out a check which would have left incriminating evidence of my purchase ;)

".. the hardest thin was getting a money order (never got one before) and this was because I wanted to hide the purchase price from my wife and didnt want to write out a check which would have left incriminating evidence of my purchase wink.png"

You are DOOMED!!! lol. The only way we have been able to keep our hobbies and not fight about it is we each get $100 a month for whatever we want to use it on. It is not subject to criticism nor ridicule. If there is something outside of that amount that we want, we'll talk about it, before purchasing.

Chazg, I have dealt with Charlie Collins for a few years now. He is honest and produces a quality product at a fair price. I have been doing a weak reorganization of the disaster area the is my tying room and was surprised at how many of Charlies products I have accumulated.

J-Kno, that is very mature of you and your wife. Strangely enough I have accumulated a lot of tying stuff over the years but not many rods and reels. I learned a long time ago that new rods don't make you into a better fisherman, only a more debt ridden one. Plus my wife has owned a horse for almost the entire time we have know each other so that monthly expense gives me cover for my occasional expensive purchase.

Steve