Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyman23

my little Kokanee

I tied this pattern for catching the big browns up at the palisades Dam and works really good but wanted your all tips on fine tuning this fly to make it better .

thank you .

post-54556-0-77610200-1418857741_thumb.jpg

I don't know anything about brown trout fishing (being from Florida) but it looks good to me. I didn't know people used streamers for trout.. I thought everyone used those teeny little insects tied on teeny little hooks. But then I don't know anything about trout fishing. It's a nice streamer though! (now, everyone on the count of three.... attack!) :-)

I do a lot of streamer fishing up there for those big browns and I have to use my 10wt though . but I have found that those big browns up there wont eat any bugs they act like Ocean fish and the only thing I found that works good is big streamers and in that the bigger the better . Thank you and lol attack that's good .

Just FMI, what size hook is it? (I have just recently started messing with streamers for crappie fishing).

It is a size 02 , I most the time use a model u301 size 02 1x strong,3x long , but for crappie I use a Dai-Riki #730 size 6 or smaller .

safe fishing and good luck

If it works, then no worries, don't change anything.

if you just want refinement, work on using WAY less thread- the head on that thing is huge. A little more wing taper, and personally I would use good quality bucktail instead of synthetic hair.

As JS has said, no need to "change" what works, but he gave some good suggestions for refinements.

Your hook numbering could be a little confusing to some. Since these are beginner pages, do you mean a size 2 (usually the leading 0 is not used in numbering hook sizes. They would go from 8, 6, 4, then 2. Then continue with 1 then 1 "ought" usually written as 1/0 then 2 "ought" written as 2/0 by most. There are three sizes between a size 2 and a 2/0. I would think the size 2 would be big enough, but a 2/0 could be used as well.

For FLA FLY, streamers are indeed used for all kinds of trout. Fall winter and spring are good times to use streamers. Stripping streamers is a favorite way of fishing for these big fish.

I tied this pattern for catching the big browns up at the palisades Dam and works really good

if it aint broke dont fix it!