Fly Tying
mikechell

flip flop popper

Thanks to this thread, I was looking at flip flops in a new light in Walmart last night.

Same type of popper, but I found a new twist that the Sunfish, and a few bass, couldn't resist.

Inexpensive materials: size 6 hook with long shank, feather boa from Dollar Tree, flip flop, leg material and synthetic hair. You'll need some type of adhesive, a sewing needle & threader and a thick shank skewer needle.

Good SBS Mike nice twist. Would not have thought to put the synthetic under the boa to keep it from collapsing.

I guess just cast in and look out!

Thanks to this thread, I was looking at flip flops in a new light in Walmart last night.

I'm with ya, can't help looking at all the flip flops either. Now it's even gotten worse. I started looking at anything foam, exercize mats, foam exercize blocks, interlocking fatigue mats, boogy boards and pool noodles.

And to think I thought I was the only person to think outside the box of cheap on hand stuff to make into flyfishing gear! Your my new hero! I'm have been working on an idea of a thread bobbin have you made any of your own?

While I am cheap, Jedi, there are things I don't mind spending money on. When it comes to tools like a bobbin, I'll buy a few. They don't cost that much, and they last forever. I don't think I could make on in my garage that would be as good.

Materials, I use up, so I always look to save money on that stuff.

"Your my new hero!"

There are MANY better role models on this site, but thank you for the vote of confidence.

Check Walmart, they had there end of summer sale on flip flops the other day, 50 cents a pair, bought $6.00 worth in different colors got enough flip flops for a lifetime of making poppers.

I enjoy reloading ammunition as well as fly tying. I use brass shell casings to cut my flip flops with. A .38 Special seems about right. I may try a .45ACP case sometime. I had a set of Snap On gasket hole punches from when I mechanicked, but I had a chance to sell them.