Fly Tying

No Henrik but it usually takes about three weeks from your area. There hasn't been any mail delivered for five business days or so. We are so buried in a deep freeze and snow. We even have to shovel our roof. It just won't stop. The ice on the houses is unbelievable. It has shut down most things off and on. Don't worry they will get here. I am not stressed about the deadline.

Henrik your flies have arrived and what a sweet selection.

Now Dave did you forget yours in the car? I mean like went out the door with good intentions and well.....

No worry. My backlog of mail is starting to be delivered. If the storms would stop it would help a lot. So if any of you have some mojo in that department it would be deeply appreciated.

Dave, your flies have arrived. What a nice set of flies. A great way to end the week. I will try to discipline myself enough to get them out the door for next week. I have to admit it will be hard letting them go. Lol so rest easy over the weekend, everything is in hand. Lol

OK, trying to move these flies because we have 2 fronts coming in so hopefully I will be able to run them to the PO tonight.

I will pm you after I get the amounts. To rectify the space left from a drop out I have hand picked some flies for you. I may have missed the mark a bit in what you may use or just enjoy. Some may have my designs or maybe my first tie in the category. Just wanted to give the personal touch.

Yes Dave, you are a salty, hopefully they will not curve in the travelling, if so I am sure your stripping will straighten them fine.

Bob besides your request you have what you said you would swing and then some.

Vic, I really hope that the flies I picked will do justice to your preference, your flies will please everyone as usual.

Henrik, I think you will enjoy these, your flies are as always the finest.

Rockworm, I hope you need these for the season, you do such a great job on such a variety of categories that I am not quite sure what you like to use.

Want to thank you all for joining the swap. Once again the quality is superb.

Post when they arrive and be patient because we are having a winter not seen in my area since the 1800's.

Flies recieved.

Dont know if people like critique, I personally would be happy for some.

I've noticed that many swaps has flies in all quality ranges. Nothing wrong with that, but how about we use the swaps to improve?

E.g. by giving constructive critique to each others?

I personally would want it in the open, since then it is discusable by all that received the flies. But the perfect way would probably be in a semi-closed forum, where only swap participants can discuss each others flies, and help all to improve. :-)

I'd love to learn how to improve my trouty ties....

I find that the techniques in those help amazingly with my larger ties... would probably prefer pm if critique isn't constructive otherwise am happy enough....

I personally would want it in the open, since then it is discusable by all that received the flies. But the perfect way would probably be in a semi-closed forum, where only swap participants can discuss each others flies, and help all to improve. :-)

I'll critique one of your flies Henrik. Why are you able to make such beautiful married wings on the one I think is a Parmanchene Belle (sp)? Whatever fly it is the wings are beautiful and I just can't get them like that. I'm always so busy trying to keep up with different swaps and ties I haven't had time to sit and dedicate myself to them but it is an art not easily mastered, and it looks like you have.

ps...By the way, a thoroughly great package arrived today that can pretty much fill a fly box by itself.

I'll critique one of your flies Henrik. Why are you able to make such beautiful married wings on the one I think is a Parmanchene Belle (sp)? Whatever fly it is the wings are beautiful and I just can't get them like that. I'm always so busy trying to keep up with different swaps and ties I haven't had time to sit and dedicate myself to them but it is an art not easily mastered, and it looks like you have.

ps...By the way, a thoroughly great package arrived today that can pretty much fill a fly box by itself.

Marrying wings is not that hard, but it all boils down to having a decent quality feathers, in this case, goose.

Then cutting the slips, on the feather, and hold the slip tight and drag the feather away from the slip.

Start bu aligning the tip of the slip, and then gently put the edges together and finally stroke from base to tip to "glue" the strips together.

It toke me just a few tries before I got it, but sometimes, the feather quality just isn't good enough, and the strips will not adhere.

Btw, think the fly was a "Lake George", not a Parmacelle Belle, that is a beauty also.

One general critique I have for almost all the flies recieved in almost all swaps, is the extended use of thread.

It takes just ONE turn of thread to hold material, and one turn of thread to lock the first turn.

E.g. whne I tie spiders, I use two turns when starting the thread, to turns to tie down the tip of the hackle.

Turn the thread in even turns to the end and back to just behind the hackle, then two turns in front of the hackle, turn the hackle, and two turns to tie it down. Cut the stem and make a 3 turn whip finish or use 3 half hitch.

If you need more than two turns to lock material, you are probably either doing something wrong or tying down buck tail, elk hair or similar hair ;-)

/Henrik

Wonderful set of flies arrived today, they are all going in my fly boxes today. Hope we have enough water to fish them this year! Thank for hosting Horseshoes, great job as always.

Sorry I haven't been in on this conversation, just a little to busy with way too many Nor'easters.

Ok let's see if I got this right.

Fishybob, vicrider and Henrik received their flies? Leaving li'lDave and rockworm?

I am glad the flies are getting home.

I understand the reviewing the flies, I have over time come to realize that my flies are tied for fishing and try to make sure they stay togather after a lot of wear and tear. I do know that my dimensions aren't correct and even sometimes I infuriate myself by tying my clousers upside down. Yet the fish aren't too discerning. My heads can very from canon balls to perfect beauties. Sometimes I am short a material in a pattern but throw it togather anyways. I guess I'll never be a fly artist but once in awhile I will create a beauty in my eyes and even create a style all my own. Such as my newest baby.

post-15490-0-73603000-1426755345_thumb.jpg

I did not use any scales just tried to create something with the materials I had on my desk that would flow nicely when stripped through water.

I do on the other hand deeply appreciate all the fabulous flies I receive from the swaps I participate in. I then get to admire all the pieces of art I am unable to accomplish myself.

If I could get clarification from Dave and rockworm it would be appreciated. Maybe you already told me. Things have been hectic so I apologise if you have already called in.