Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jd1983

7' 5 wt bamboo rod

A couple months ago I posted a bamboo rod my dad refurbished for me. Well, the refurb work really paid off because he sold his first hand made rod recently.

The rod below is the one he sold. It is a 2 piece 7' 5 wt. He did just about everything on this rod by hand starting from splitting the cane to get all the pieces. My favorite part of the rods he works on are the silk wraps. Even with them being red on this rod, they still have an incredible transparency. Just had to brag on the old man a little.

post-48654-0-10544600-1419298701_thumb.jpg

post-48654-0-63422000-1419298719_thumb.jpg

post-48654-0-35694300-1419298737_thumb.jpg

Any one who can do a bamboo rod from scratch, deserves to be bragged on. Nice work, my first 2 or three rods were bamboo rods that I pieced together from old rod sections, and one that I restored from a Heddon Black Beauty. That one is a fine piece of work, congrats to your "old man."

Utyer - Thanks for the kind words. I plan on letting him know people like his work. Funny you mention the Black Beauty. He has one right now that he wants to fix up. He's trying to find an original reel seat in decent condition.

Yepper that is a fine job. I have personally never been willing to spend the money to get a boo....I have always lusted after one of the Orvis impregnated boo rods.

Impregnated rods? That's a neat idea.... they can have lots of offspring and you could sell them.

The problem is the 78 year gestation period. It is a long wait my friend.

I think Orvis started the impregnation process back in the late 1950's. I have an old 8 1/2 footer that has never bent or warped. You haven't had any fun till you try to straighten a bamboo rod with an alcohol lamp.

I got my first Orvis catalogue in the late 60's and impregnated boo seem to be the ideal boo. I seem to remember the rods varied in price from about $400 to maybe $700. They also showed a wedding cake Fin Nor reel for about $400. I still drool when I see one of those gold Fin Nors.