Fly Tying
EzGoing

Renzetti Presentation 3000 Vise

I love mine! I chose the 3000 because of the jaws similar to my Universal II that I have tied 100K+ bucktails on. Now that Im tying flys I wanted something the same. You can see my set up in the workbench database area and in this thread Fly Tying Bench JayWirth. (The thread has the most picts)

I have tied on a lot of different vises both rotary and non rotary including Thompson, Regal , HMH ,Renezetti and Dyna King . I still have my Thompson that I got as a kid in 1960 and it still holds a fly well . What you can tell from reading many forums is that once folks get used to a particular vise they are generally very happy with it .I tie with a Dyna King ErgonomicSupreme ( recommened by Chris Helm ) and don't see myself changing because I don't use the rotary function and I like the hook access and holding power of the DK . However I have owned 3 Renezetti's and share my feeback below ( primarily tie Trout flies ) :

Renezetti 3000 - Very well made , elegant vise and I liked the feature of turning the knob to secure the fly . It also provided great access to the fly for tight work . The one issue I had is that hooks tended to slip depending on the type of hook you were using . This only seemed to happen on flies in the 16 -18 - 20 range , on streamer or larger hooks it was very solid . Since I tied a lot of smaller flies , I sold this vise and moved to the Renezetti 4000 ;

Renezetti 4000 - I thought was equal in quality to the 3000 , a very well manufactured product . I never had an issue with a hook slipping on this vise . It was a noticeable difference in hooking holding for me versus the 3000 . You can adjust the tension on the arm and it provides great access to all sides of the fly . Looking back when I compared the 2 vises , I regreted not getting the 4000 first .

Renzetti Traveler or 2000 - Used this for a travel vise but sold it after I moved to the DK products . Great entry level vise , people love it but I found the arm design a little annoying and often required adjustment and I think I was definetly influenced by how solid the 4000 was .

Sorry for rambling response , I am sure you will be happy with any of the manufacturers listed products but of all the Ren. products I tried , the 4000 was the most solid and versatile for me.

Renzetti makes a great vise. I tied on a 2000 for about a decade and pretty much wore it out. I prefer the cam jaw of the 2000 to that of the 3000. I also like the adjustability of the jaw arm of the 2000 over the fixed arm. I now have a Renzetti Master and have no problem recommending any of the Renzetti vises.

However, one word of caution as you look at buying a vise....buy what fits you and your tying style. I had people tie on my Renzetti and not like the way it felt. I've also tied on other vises and not like them. I would recommend that you hit your local fly shop and lay hands on as many vises as you can...even ask if you can tie a fly on it. IMO, buying a vise is a personal decision.

I've used one for over 30 years and really like it. No problems with it at all. I just unscrew everything every once in a while to clean and lubricate it.

The pros are:

1) It's a Renzetti.

2) For me, I much prefer the thumbscrew jaws.

Cons:

1) The jaws are not very fine pointed, even the "midge" jaws.

2) It doesn't have great access to the back end of very small flies.

Joe