Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Winter insects

If you're ice fishing you're better off using live bait, minnows on a tip up or jigged with a flashy spoon for the trout. Also small jigs tipped with maggots or wax worms will also work for both trout and whitefish. There should be some active insects most likely Chironomids and zooplankton like Daphnia. But you're talking small. Various bead head midges and there are small micro jigs designed to imitate the Daphnia. The majority of insects hunker down and are inactive during the winter

I primarily want to know for ice fishing trout and whitefish. What kind of insects are under the ice all winter long?

Thanks

The short answer is...all of them! All of the larvae are alive and active during the winter months and probably make up the majority of the diet for trout as well as panfish and others.

If you're ice fishing you're better off using live bait, minnows on a tip up or jigged with a flashy spoon for the trout. Also small jigs tipped with maggots or wax worms will also work for both trout and whitefish. There should be some active insects most likely Chironomids and zooplankton like Daphnia. But you're talking small. Various bead head midges and there are small micro jigs designed to imitate the Daphnia. The majority of insects hunker down and are inactive during the winter

Im not allowed to use live bait fish in Alberta. Also jigs rather big for the whitefish. I should have stated that its mountain whitefish not lake whitefish that im targeting. Also is is most likely that i will be adding something like a maggot to the fly.

What kind of insects are under the ice all winter long?

the same ones are there all year long.

they dont go to florida like us snowbirds do when it gets cold smile.pngsmile.png

I have good luck tying leech patterns on jig heads through the ice.

Hauling my shack out today, had a mild spell and the ice wasn't safe.

Colder than a witches tatas today!