Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lycokayaker

Peg Board for organizing material?

I have lost my man cave and have been delegated to the basement. Have any of you built a freestanding peg board rack and used it for organizing your material? I I was toying with doing it as all of my materials since the move are in empty cases of beer.... I was going to buy one sheet 4ft x 8ft and do it one sided. Did it work for you, what did you like, what didn't you like, what would you do different? Any other ideas that are relatively cheap? Thanks for the help!

In the interest of using as little floor space as possible, I'd go with a "display stand" style peg board.

Something like a 2'x2'x8' box ...

or "cross shape".

I like the top one the best. Either mount it on a lazy Susan or put some casters on it. I think the lazy Susan would be more functional. A free standing 4x8 sheet is going to take a lot of floor space unless it was going to be a portable room divider. Be interested to see what you come up with.

In the interest of using as little floor space as possible, I'd go with a "display stand" style peg board.

wood_mdf_four_sided_pegboard.jpg

or "cross shape".

wood_mdf_four_sided_slatwall_display.jpg

Wouldn't a 1x1x8 box be the same as 4x8 mike? Since you have 4 sides 1foot wide, and 8ft long... I could be tired this early in the AM and wrong lol. But since there is no ends, four pieces of 1x8 is the same as 4x8 right?

or "cross shape".

Wouldn't a 1x1x8 box be the same as 4x8 mike? Since you have 4 sides 1foot wide, and 8ft long... I could be tired this early in the AM and wrong lol. But since there is no ends, four pieces of 1x8 is the same as 4x8 right?

You're not dreaming. One sheet of peg board would, indeed, only make a 1'x1'x8' box ... but I don't think that would be enough area to hang much, since the outside edges will be unusable due to the structural wood frame.

Two sheets would be required ... but the usable area would be noticeably larger.

or "cross shape".

You're not dreaming. One sheet of peg board would, indeed, only make a 1'x1'x8' box ... but I don't think that would be enough area to hang much, since the outside edges will be unusable due to the structural wood frame.

Two sheets would be required ... but the usable area would be noticeably larger.

Ohhh! That makes sense mike.

Depending on how tall you are and how high your ceilings are, a 2'x2'x4' might be more functional and uses a single sheet.

I think I would build a Drawer box as a base to raise it up so the top and bottom hooks are at a comfortable height. I might just have to do that.

I am open to ideas. I was looking at flat file cabinets but were to rich for my blood. The lazy susan idea is appealing if I made it 2x2x8 or something like that as the 1x1 wouldn't work as effective. My basement is an open slate. Looking at getting two pre made kitchen counter tops one 12ft and one 6-8 mitered to meet each other in one of the corners and make one side a fly tying /leader tying bench throw my computer in the middle and other side work space.

Design-wise, I like Jaydub's idea of the 4-sided 2x2x4 with the drawer for a base.

I used pegboard for materials storage for a few years and eventually got tired of it. It seemed like the material I wanted was always on the rear half of the peg that it hung on, and it got tiresome always having to pull off everything hanging in front of it to get to what I needed. If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, though, it is an efficient way to keep materials organized and have them easily visible at the same time.

Holy Cow Norm! I'm impressed! Looks like a fly shop you have there. I would love to see the contents of some of those old drawer units in the last pic.

Kirk

that's not my pictures

they come from internet

somebody wanted ideas so I posted ideas

theres so much materials in the one picture is borders on hoarding

cant put that much stuff in a mobile home :)