Fly Tying
flytire

January flies from the vise

First fly of 2015! Would have been nice if I'd taken the body a little further and finished with a shorter head, also wish I'd use broader strips of woodie and it would be nice if I hadn't forgotten the horns. Other than that though I'm pretty pleased with this one (still waiting for one more coat of varnish). Comments and critiques are welcome as always!

Hargreaves_zpsb8720778.jpg

I have been playing around for a couple of days, trying to get back in the swing and get ready for the big Sowbug Round-Up event in mountain home, Arkansas the latter part of March, many tyers, many people in the mountains of Northern Arkansas, and lots of fly tying and fishing.

My goal here is to get a bug that resembles some of the immature insect larva, nymphs, etc. that inhabit our lakes, rivers, and streams in this area. we have some large beautiful and some large ugly, small ones, too, flying insects that produce some pretty rough looking children. Fish like them, so I thought I would try to do bigger, rough, and ugly, but beautiful in my eyes.

This is my first relatively successful product. I held my ipad with one hand and a board behind the fly with the other, so cut me some slack on image quality:

Some of these images are similar. I had all of this done and ready to post. When I did the system lost it all, so this is my second rendition and not as nice as the original.

imagejpg3_zpsc9b4f4a7.jpg

imagejpg7_zpsea09775d.jpg

imagejpg12_zpsf0f2a8d7.jpg

imagejpg8_zpsbe62539a.jpg

]imagejpg11_zpsf2a34d02.jpg

The fly is on a #6 Knapek barbless hook. The tail and gills are a stiff material that has no name on the bag. I got it through a suggestion here, but without the name on the container, I don't have a clue what or where, but it appears to be good stuff for gills, tails, some wing sites, etc. I like it; if you recognize it, post the name and source. The thread is 210 Dabville Flat Waxed white collored to tasts with Prismacolor pens. The dubbing is a great mix, Sea Dragon Dubbing, Big Horn, from the Mad Scientist's FlyTying Dungeon Empire. Google it; great line of products, lots of stuff; low prices. Body is a green mix that also has chopped up rubber legs in the mix with synthetic dubbing. Thorax is similar, same source, Sea Dragon Dubbing, Orange. The gills and tail are the unnamed material; I wish I knew the name and source. Other gill material is grouse feahter hidden away in the anterior mix of materials. Nymph skin lays over the upper back as cover. As the second step early of I tied in 2 - 5 inch strips of Larva lace Medium, and when finished tying and dubbing the body I wove over all of the material in a pattern whose name I can't recall at he moment. It isna't Granny and unravels if you release tension. It is my favorite. I'll get the name later but those who weave probably recognize the one.

The weavee in this is more difficult to see because of the mass of material, but it's there.

Take a look. There will be more refind with time, but I plan that they will still have a very similar look simply because that is the look I am working for. the fish in central Texas like them, so , so do I! :)

Ray

Some different pike flys and craft fur bait fish. The pike flys are both tyed on 6/0 hooks while the craft fur flys are on size 2 streamer hooks. Hope you like

c3db9686-eb7a-4449-9352-29337db59f8c_zps

2bdf77fd-34f9-4960-a723-93c2bbddcfaa_zps

246dbfe0-4a80-4d68-bd9c-04c89c9f824d_zps

9b00005c-e76c-42e1-8b5d-fde6b73cccdc_zps

198a82bc-7224-4c97-a233-c3f413f53f50_zps

a7546834-44ac-4fb3-8be3-48ad422d3354_zps

Harold Ray- nice looking pattern; I would love to fish the White river some day. My 2nd daughter will be here at the end of March so I will be on lockdown after that if not I would try and make it up for the Sowbug Roundup; I got the ok to go to the Ed Rizzolos Fly Tying Festival here in Houston on Feb 7th so I will be happy with that.

MARCHBROWNEMERGER1_zpsd725cae6.jpg

MARCH BROWN EMERGER – Boyle/Variant – Umpqua (Hanak) C300BL, #10 – #12…The first in a series of 18 patterns (1 doz. each) that will be going into a box for my son Michael to use on Eastern waters...

PT/TB

post-37956-0-99772500-1420262092_thumb.jpgpost-37956-0-07224300-1420262117_thumb.jpgpost-37956-0-58680000-1420262140_thumb.jpgJust tried this Japanese style tying method (

Shimazaki's Marshmallow Body Flies)