Fly Tying
flytire

January flies from the vise

I like hairwings better than feathers. I don't know why, but they have been my favorite now for years. I am going to have to start tying some of those again.

and they are so much easier to tie up a bunch of :)

and they are so much easier to tie up a bunch of

CORRECT!! :) Marrying wings can be a task. That's one reason I don't do more Classic Salmon flies; that one job takes all of the fun out of it for me.

Ray

2015.01.08.dryfly.me_.green_highlander-1

Green Highlander on Kamasan B280 #4

GH on lefse. You need to wrap that bread in salmon. No ?wink.png

Nice HW !

and they are so much easier to tie up a bunch of

CORRECT!! smile.png Marrying wings can be a task. That's one reason I don't do more Classic Salmon flies; that one job takes all of the fun out of it for me.

Ray

It can, but I'm starting to get the married wing to sit now, they do turn out beautiful, but if I need 10 GH quickly these are the kind to tie up

Good thinking !

attachicon.gifIMG_0582.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0581.JPG

A very flexible streamer that is tied on a string.

Is the fly one of your own design?

Yes, but there may be someone else out there doing the same thing that I don't know about. I have been tying streamers on a string for 2 or 3 years now. I call them string flies. They are very articulated. I caught 3 trout on the Madison river with 7 casts using my Limp Richard string fly. It was very similar to this one except in Olive and brown.

Caution... I heard it through the grape vine when I was a youngster that articulating a Limp Richard causes blindness ! ohmy.png
I got curious last night and googled. I like the LR better.

They were both called the Limp Richard, but the one with the spun deer hair head and malabou tail is the latest revision and the one that has caught the most fish. I think because it moves more water. The link you posted to my SBS gives pretty good tying instructions except for the current spun deer hair head.

That's a very nice Golden Gunn.The Willie Gunn is a very local pattern here, it was named, after a local angler, in the tackle shop (now gone) in Brora just 5 mile up the road from here. I have been known to tie a few of these. These are the original.

post-43582-0-02045700-1420823695_thumb.jpg

I tried to cross it with the Ally's Shrimp / Cascade, Using the shape of the Allys shrimp and the colour scheme of the Willie Gunn. I called it the Gowan's Gunn, because the other combination of names was just silly.

post-43582-0-57602400-1420823807_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

C.