Fly Tying
flytire

January flies from the vise

Harold Ray- nice looking pattern; I would love to fish the White river some day. My 2nd daughter will be here at the end of March so I will be on lockdown after that if not I would try and make it up for the Sowbug Roundup; I got the ok to go to the Ed Rizzolos Fly Tying Festival here in Houston on Feb 7th so I will be happy with that.

You should plan to come up; it's a blast. Both the White and the North Fork (Norfork) are great rivers; the White can be massive and dangerous, while the Norfork is far smaller, just a few miles long, 5 or so as an off-shoot of the White, or something to that effect, but heavy in nice and sometimes big catch and release trout.

There are actually 2 great shows up there, the Fall Federation of Fly Fisher's Conclave, first weekend in October, and the sowbug Round-Up usually just after the middle to latter of March. The Conclave is a mix of fising, casting, teaching, and tying. The sowbug is straight tying, and there are sometimes tiers from across the world; and sometimes, it's just a bunch of folks from across the United States.

John Maddux and I usually go to the Conclave together; he hasn't been to the Sowbug but plans to g this year. He ties a lot of great poppers and is very popular at the shows because he ties very well, and h takes nearly everything he owns that has the abilitiy to be tied to a hook, and speaking of hooks, he keeps them classed and separate and at one time, bought around a quarter-million in a deal, just so he'd have a few around to tie. :) That isn't a tale. We went once and had 2 large pick-ups full of gear and John's tying materials.

Where do you live?

John and I have also been to Houston and he and I each have been invited a variety of one day shows, but we like multi-day shows; I hate going, unloading, setting up, tying just one short day, and then having to load up and head out again. We like going and tying for at least 2 or 3 or 4 days straight. Usually when we get to Mountain Home, we set up where we want to be and stay at the table until the shows over, getting up only to look a little, eat, and go home at night. I generally stay in the Ramada and venture out of there. A couple of times we have bought vendors sites so we can tie without officials bothering us. That works real well because we usually have a lot of people coming by, and we are talking, tying, and having a great time while everything is going on.

A friend you'll need to meet when you are there, if you like tying deer hair, is Mike George. He is a worldclass tyer who has won the mustad open in hs class 8 or 9 times in world competition. He is a member here, but he doesn't participate much because he is so busy. He is a gentleman and gret tyer who concentrates primarily on deer hair. He's alot like Davie McPhail in ability and willingness to share his knowledge and abilities.

Ray

Harold- I live in Richmond - a suburb of Houston on west side it works good for me because I am 20 minutes closer to Port O Connor and 2 hrs from Guadalupe River to catch trout during the winter months.

The shows I think you may be referring to are the fishing shows etc. here; you should make it down for the Ed Rizzolos Fly Tying Festival - no vendor stations from what I remember just round table tying and workshops throughout the day. It is a 1 day festival but you could fish the Guad on Sunday on your way back home.

I am 99% sure that I met Mike George last yr at the festival- man has skills with that deer hair for sure; I can't spin deer hair for nothing.

Hope to see you there.

or add a things-that-go-bump-in-the-night option...

restrained with plastic tubing and welded in place with light cured acrylic (BB)...

"inflexibility is the nemesis of improvisation..." Lord Beaverbrook [battle of Britain]

F70A2752_zps60bbd88c.jpg

Oooooh. Something stuck in his throat. That's going to really rattle not being deadened under any materials.

Which brand of flash is the flat profile concertinaed pearl one you have there?

Seen the new plastic ratlers?
Page in Swedish, but google translate and images might help alot.
http://www.flydressing.se/nyheter/bauer-power-rattles.aspx

I have no commercial interest in flydressing.se, although I would like to have with all the brilliant marketing they do ;-) Especially the kanalgratis.se with the fly tv and fly vs. jerk (see it on youtube).

/Henrik