Fly Tying
flytire

January flies from the vise

Some different pike flys and craft fur bait fish. The pike flys are both tyed on 6/0 hooks while the craft fur flys are on size 2 streamer hooks. Hope you like

c3db9686-eb7a-4449-9352-29337db59f8c_zps

2bdf77fd-34f9-4960-a723-93c2bbddcfaa_zps

246dbfe0-4a80-4d68-bd9c-04c89c9f824d_zps

9b00005c-e76c-42e1-8b5d-fde6b73cccdc_zps

198a82bc-7224-4c97-a233-c3f413f53f50_zps

a7546834-44ac-4fb3-8be3-48ad422d3354_zps

I have been meaning to do this but forgot. I wanted to tell you that you have done a tremendous job with these flies, beautifully done. I am impressed with your consistency, quality of tying, and the ability and beauty with which you have done them. I really enjoyed seeng them.

What are the measurements on them, length, depth of body? Down here, Texas, they would be great in larger sizes for big bass, alligator gar, and saltwater species on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Ray

My first shot at a Hare's Ear (new to tying). Thoughts or suggestions?

Great! Awesome! What size is that?

Go slay some fish on it now! ;)

This should be over in the beginner section but here it is.. Mrs Simpson. First attempt.

2555j0o.jpg

down turned eye hooks give me trouble. Will try it again with a straight eye next time and a 4xL instead of the 3xL.

BLUEQUILLEMFIN_zps4caffc97.jpg

BLUE QUILL EMERGER (DNA) – Doug Korn/Variant – Daiichi 1250, #16- #16, Gamakatsu 13U, #16 – #20…

MARCHBROWNEMERGERS_zps8b1c7b60.jpg

MARCH BROWN EMERGERS...

PT/TB

A few from the last week.

IMG_0262.jpg

That is a beautiful fly! What material is the very course "stuff" at the head? At first, I thought deer hair, and then I decided I didn't have a clue!

They all look good; the first though is by far my favorite; I just love the look and way you tied it.

Ray

Cream,

You do a great job on those poppers. I have stood, sat, squatted, talked, listened, watched, discussed, ogled, desired, coveted, bought, and been gifted poppers from Mike, and he has tried to talk me into tying them, but I just never have worked up the patience to do it. All of the different forms they can come in are fantastic, and everyone is always amazed when watching a deer hair master arrange hair on the hook, but I've just never gotten to the point yet that I have made the jump.

Once in Livingston, Montana, he and I, along with one more friend, sat at a table during the International Conclave for three and a half hours. No one came by; there were only a few tiers in the room of what was supposed to be a raging Conclave. Potter's Farm funerals are more exciting. But, if you're all sitting around and Mike wants to demonstrate tying, you watch him and deer hair for hours. At the start, he said, "Ray, I'm going to show you every step of every fly you own of mine on this one fly," and he did. He stacked, spun, and packed hair on the one, short hook for 3.5 hours; it had more bumps, spots, dips and dives, and color than you could believe, but when through, it was another deer hair fly.

Once again, you do a great job on those, congratulations, and I think Mike would say the same.

Bruce is also a deer hair guru; I love his flies. I believe he has an articulated rat or some type of very unusual, difficult one that he has posted in the past. If he sees this, maybe he will recognize the one I am thinking of and post it again.

Ray