2015.01.05.dryfly.me_.silver_rabbit_4-10

Hook: Kamasan B280 #4

Thread: UNI 6/0 Red

Tag: UNI-French Medium Oval

Tail: GP

Body: underbody of UNI-Floss, UNI-Mylar #16

Rib: UNI-French Medium Oval

Wing: Squirrel

Hackle: Whiting Dryfly neck, Rooster Saddle Grizzly (depending on size)

Tied up some more doubles last night: http://dryfly.me/2015/01/silver-squirrel-double/

2015.01.05.dryfly.me_.silver_rabbit_8-10

Nice looking fly. Squirrel wings like that are tricky to get right.

what makes you go with a double?

Not familiar with this style

It's a pretty classic pattern and style. The double hooks are much more predominant in Europe, particularly for sea run trout and salmon. You can easily tie it on a single hook as well.

Where do you get such straight hair? Are those from the tail of a gray squirrel? The ones I harvest all have very soft, wavy hair.

Beautiful looking fly...Of course your flies always are! Plenty of squirrels in my part of the country.

Nice looking fly. Squirrel wings like that are tricky to get right.

what makes you go with a double?

Not familiar with this style

Like deeky said: doubles (and even some prefer trebles) are used much here in Scandinavia when you are targeting salmon. I use both normal doubles like this and double on tube as well. But I'm just getting into salmon tying, so I'm still to gather a lot of experience with salmon, but when you have potential to hit 10+kg of salmon in a river you need a good hook

Where do you get such straight hair? Are those from the tail of a gray squirrel? The ones I harvest all have very soft, wavy hair.

It is from squirrel tail, yes

I realize it's a squirrel tail :P

Do you know what species? Gray, pine, fox, etc? I can't find any that straight and fine.

I have found that for many of my patterns smaller than #4, the hair from the bottom of the tail, nearer the stump are long enough for my wing and very straight. It is generally the much longer hairs toward the tip that curl.

I realize it's a squirrel tail tongue.png

Do you know what species? Gray, pine, fox, etc? I can't find any that straight and fine.

The package doesn't say what species, but it is from Wapsi

I have a grey squirrel tail I saved from hunting and use for certain flies. This looks exactly the same and greys are very common so I'd bet that's it.

I have a grey squirrel tail I saved from hunting and use for certain flies. This looks exactly the same and greys are very common so I'd bet that's it.

Looks like a gray squirrel to me...Where I am from we call the them cat squirrels.