Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
J-Kno

Denver Show this weekend?

Anyone here going to be at the Fly Fishing Show in Denver this weekend? I will likely make it down on Sunday... Family in tow...lol

My 5y/o daughter LOVES everything about fishing. Last year FFF had a booth with helping kids tie a fly on their own (pretty much). They do a great job.

She asked to tie a fly the night before last. She choose the bead, thread. I asked if she wanted to rib it and add "something" to it so it got silver wire and a pearl thorax. She called it "princess" and the green one was stuff I had laying around on the desk, but I forget what she named it. I let her wind the thread, tie in the materials and use the rotary handle on the vise while I guided the mylar, rib & peacock. I held the herl while she tied it off. She held the whip finisher and I guided her hand. She made all the cuts on the thread and materials. I'm beginning to doubt she is my kid as she didn't cut the bobbin thread until it was time... lol.

post-50671-0-96626100-1420735412_thumb.jpg

Cool. Now to get her out somewhere to catch a fish on one of those. Toss that out in front of some 'gills and hand her the rod. That should do it.

I'll be at the Umpqua Feather Merchants booth on Saturday.

Kimo

IDK if I'll make it down to see you on Saturday Kimo, I always look forward talking with you. I still remember you trying to hit Tak's UV resin with your UV laser from across the aisle at Bass Pro some years ago... I still have the fly he gave me and put on his card...

I'll be at the Umpqua Feather Merchants booth on Saturday.

Kimo

IDK if I'll make it down to see you on Saturday Kimo, I always look forward talking with you. I still remember you trying to hit Tak's UV resin with your UV laser from across the aisle at Bass Pro some years ago... I still have the fly he gave me and put on his card...

Did you see me also set off some flash paper on his table with my UV Resin Laser?

He screamed like a tita!

Kimo

I just can't stop laughing... I must have just missed that part when we rolled up.

If I ever get the chance to tie at a bigger event, I'd love to sit between you two, not so much as a referee, but the stories I am sure I'd hear. (Ok, maybe as a referee as well)

errr... Which two are you speaking about? ( I HAD to google 'tita' an thus my comments above) Sounds like quite and endearing reference - at least it could be.

I'm headed to Indy this Sat/Sun to observe some tiers down there. I'm sure they'll straighten me out - as far as fly tying.

(not to hijack this thread - we're supposed to be talking about DENVER!!!)

BCT

I think I hijacked my own thread or put it on a divergent path from Denver... lol Let us know how the scene in Indy. I did some work near Noblesville, IN. I found one of the best sushi places in the US in a strip mall out there. Sushi tasted fresh and was very cool temp wise. 3 day drive from the ocean, it was unexpected to say the least.

Unless I'm stranded on a deserted isle, I don't think raw fish will pass by these lips. But, I shall try to leave word about the fly tying after I get back. I'm not tying there, I'm not THAT good - just going to admire all those that do.

Ok, now officially hi-jacked. Apologies!

www.inflyfishingexpo.com <--- is the site for the show (it didn't show up on the first attempt at a cut n paste - typed it in the second time round)

BCT

I was there on Saturday. What a great show! Picked up tons of stuff that I needed such as merino wool base layers, cool t-shirts, a bunch of misc capes and wing materials. Great time!