Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Scud with Ziplock Sandwich Bag Body Wrap

The Ziploc Scud, The Dirty Look:

I never really have found a wrap body material I like; I've used several of the Nymph Skin-type products, but even though they work, I wasn't sold on them. A few times in the past, I tried cutting sandwich bag, but when i did, I used scissors and didn't get the nice, straight cuts I wanted or the even widths I needed, or wanted. A few days ago I decided I was going to try again, and posted asking what everyone used for cutting larger sections on materials. I ended up with a metal straight edge/ruler, a self-healing cutting board, and an OLFA Rotary Cutter. Usng these, I can cut the strips I wanted all along, so I strated trying my hand a building those scuds again.

Over the years, I have tied a variety of types, some clean and nice, and others that have a rather scroungy, dirty appearance. Over time, I realized I enjoyed the dirty type better, so that is what I am shooting for here. This is one I just did, and although I don't have my methodology worked out completely yet, I m well on the way. This scud is tied on a Krapek #6 Scud Barbless Hook with Danville 210 Denier Flat Waxed Thread, dubbed with FlyTyersDungeon's Course & Wet Tan and Orange Dubbing, with Ziploc strip wrapping the body, and Nymph Skin strips as shoulder covers. It is rougher than the eventual model will be, but I wanted to post it to show how the Ziploc Bag strips work as body wrap.

At first I was dissatisfied because the material didn't seem to hold the pen coloration the way I wanted, but the more I work with it, the better I like it, and the price if definitely right.

As I said, this is a start, several starts and stops, and a few steps into the procedd of getting the scuds to the point I want for shows. Take a look and see what you think about the scud and Ziploc Bag as body wrap. I am also still using my ipad for images; someday I will get my old camera out:

The Ziploc Scud

imagejpg1_zpsa827305a.jpg

imagejpg4_zps539961a6.jpg

imagejpg2_zps1f23ad12.jpg

imagejpg3_zps759865a5.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsa827305a.jpg

Ray

It looks good to me. When you get satisfied, and start to throw all your practice ones away... well, you know.

P.S. do scuds have tails?

:0

P.S. do scuds have tails?

This one does! :)

Thanks; I will keep playing with these, really enjoyed it. The next ones won't have tails. I had some CDC and had been thinking about using it, something I really hadn't used before, so I tied it on. I like the way the CDC ties on and will be using it a lot more.

It's the 'long - haired bigger brother' scud! those trend-setters! hehee smile.png

Looks like that zip-lock 'shell' over the body worked out alright Mr. Ray! Sounds like your going to keep tweaking - I'm never satisfied with a fly it seems - after I've tied it. I'm working on that March Brown right now and have had a few nice suggestions. Will be tweaking until May.. lol But, I'm having fun with it! :)

BCT

I like the use of the zip lock. Nice one.

Granted there are multiple ways to tie a scud but I would prefer a much shorter tail and a much smaller hook. I also prefer weighted to get them down quick in the faster moving water I use them in.

i guess we all have our own visualization on what a "scud" pattern would be like but for me i dont see a "scud"

https://www.google.com/search?q=scud+fly+pattern&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_56vVMmkHpHjsASE8YFo&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

that fly is tied well but more in the style of a mayfly nymph on a curved hook

https://www.google.com/search?q=scud+fly+pattern&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_56vVMmkHpHjsASE8YFo&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=mayfly+nymph+pattern

a good example of a fly that's ties in a similar fashion as yours is tied is the "pvc nymph" by john goddard

https://books.google.com/books?id=_HYPVhhqAiUC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=pvc+nymph+fly+pattern&source=bl&ots=dkmp2Kxqm9&sig=h7w1BbYpbC34KvP89FxPeSw0mWU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QaKvVJGkFpTIsAT01YD4DQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=pvc%20nymph%20fly%20pattern&f=false

the real thing

IMG_3394.jpg

maybe this is what your looking for in the tail area

co-blog-freshwater-scud-and-fly.jpg?w=86

examples of zip lock baggie

olivescud_zps22b77127.jpg

tanscud_zpsf9c146af.jpg

BigHornScud_zps2d37a2a5.jpg

Ahhh, yes, I have tied quite a few scuds; and, they are shrimp-like, but down here we use the term to cover a wide range of small ties. It's always a pleasure though to have an expert explain the difference. I will wait with bated breath for your next pronouncements.

I've used plastic baggies -- the thicker portion at the top closure 'lips' -- for years (decades?) as over backs on scuds with picked out off-white rabbit dubbing and mono for segmentation. Weighed for faster waters.

Also works great in bigger sizes on nesting bluegills in brackish water. ( I found a minnow trap once that was absolutely crammed with what looked like mini shrimp but proabably were what we now call mysis. I tried the scud pattern above in those waters and the bluegill tore it up. )

Rpccp

Ahhh, yes, I have tied quite a few scuds; and, they are shrimp-like, but down here we use the term to cover a wide range of small ties. It's always a pleasure though to have an expert explain the difference. I will wait with bated breath for your next pronouncements.

Sarcasm noted...

Calling it a scud doesn't make it a scud. What you have tied would more accurately be called an ammonite nymph. Don't take the correction personally.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ammonite+fly&FORM=HDRSC2

Since there are quite a few newbies here, being accurate with terminology is important. It's hard enough to learn the terminology without the misleading "local" names.

I have used Ziploc strips occasionally before for scud backs like the other thinner materials, tying them in at the rear and folding them forward to near the head over dubbing. I like the Ziploc because it is thicker and more sturdy. At first, it didn't appear that it was going to hold the ink as well as the rougher textured scud materials, but after working with it a few days, I believe I am wrong on that. With the right instruments, whether you like knives, rotary cutters, or scissors, you can make nice strips and form good bodies using the sandwich bags, and you can do them pretty inexpensively.

Calling it a scud doesn't make it a scud. What you have tied would more accurately be called an ammonite nymph. Don't take the correction personally.

Yes, I thought about that afterward, and you are right. I am loose with my terminology and will try to do better with that.

Ray

Very gentleman-like Ray. On the flip side some of us might learn to be a bit kinder when "correcting" others. We don't need to just blurt out "You're full of ....". Actually I hadn't even noticed that the live scuds in photos don't seem to have a thoracic carapace. But like you say, you're just experimenting at this stage. Keep on keeping on is my advice.

PS I still like the bug, whatever it is.

Ray, Apology accepted! smile.png BTW FLAFLY, I don't think anyone here said anyone else was full of... As a matter of fact, I think we, as a group, are more than generous with our compliments and expressions of appreciation. No trolls here! On the other hand, a forum is no place for anyone who hates criticism directed at themselves. This what this is all about and how we all learn. I've had to eat crow a time or two myself. And for all the people on the sidelines reading these conversations and learning in silence, don't be afraid to join in because of fear you'll be ridiculed. It's all a part of the process (sometimes). smile.png

I have one little piece of advise. When using a rotary cutter, it I advisable to use a plastic straight edge instead of metal. This is less apt to damage the sharp rotary cutter blade. Also the above mentioned matt is recommended too. I believe both the matt and plastic straight edge are both readily available in the sewing department at Walmart. It's one of those "you can pay me now or pay me later things". Those rotary cutter blades are NOT cheap.

When using a rotary cutter, it I advisable to use a plastic straight edge instead of metal. This is less apt to damage the sharp rotary cutter blade.

I had thought about that, but if you have the cork side down, your blade should be running beside the ruler because the cork lifts the metal. Using the ruler cork down seemed to work fine, but pulling can always be a factor I guess., as someone mentioned with the paper cutters.

When I bought, I just grabbed the metal because someone here had said, "Get a metal ruler." After I did, I thought about it and really didn't have any other reason for doing so.

Those rotary cutter blades are around $9.00 a piece I believe, so you're right about cost.

Ray