Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Scud with Ziplock Sandwich Bag Body Wrap

Ray, Apology accepted! smile.png BTW FLAFLY, I don't think anyone here said anyone else was full of... smile.png

We're "fishermen" and "fisherwomen" ... isn't being full of sh*( part of that? That's what my wife keeps telling me, anyway.

Something else you can use that are already cut into strips are the clear plastic straps they put on the inside of ladies blouses to stay on the hangars. My wife and daughter usually cut them out right after they buy them...they make good "thinskin". . Some are better than others, but my wife and daughter buy enough clothes that I can be selective.

There was a post here several years ago, and may have been more since, about using all of these bags we throw away as materials for flies and not buying the usual "stuff". The bags are paid for; they are empty; they are colorful, and they are readily available nearly everywhere. We just throw them away!

I haven't used any lately, but I did think again about how many of these we throw away, and cut to strips, they would easily make great flies for all of us. When the bags are empty, cut them up, use them, and save some money, along with enjoying some colorful flies.

Ray

I use the bags that house dubbing, hooks, chenile etc.... They all work for me. Wife is a scrapbooker so I use her cutting machine to cut up to 100 strips or more. Like Stevegud1 referred to, my good buddy uses his wife's plastic straps on her braw and they make good scud backing. IMO, they are a bit thick, but manuverable. They are plastic and coloring them is easy too.

A bit off topic, but I have been using ribbon for stonefly backing. It was my son's bday and the wife got him some ballons from Party City. I noticed the ribbon tied to the ballon was black and shiny. It was the perfect size to make size 10-16 stonefly backing.

Live scud

_PIC2150_Live-scud.jpg

Dead scud (they turn pink instantly upon dying)

_PIC2151_Dead-scud.jpg

Another Grocery bag scud, similar to the opening image

_PIC2383_Neon-scud.jpg

When panicked they flick their tails and dart quickly. When feeding and undisturbed they straighten out into a pencil-like cylinder. But they only feed in the weeds. When they're drifting they're olive geen and darting for cover or dead and pink.