Fly Tying
noahflyfisher

Hair Packer?

I was at a flea market a few weeks back and picked up this hair packer up for a dollar, wondering what it was for since I found it with some fly tying stuff and I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web showing how to use it or even what's it used for. Do any of you guys have an idea? Tight lines.

post-53782-0-46000400-1420914464_thumb.jpg

post-53782-0-49633200-1420914474_thumb.jpg

post-53782-0-12356400-1420914488_thumb.jpg

I believe it is used to help tightly pack deer body hair when tying hair bugs. I have never use one. I just use my finger nails of my right thumb and middle finger. My bugs are not packed as tight as some the great bug tiers one this forum.

It's a deer hair packing tool. Used to pack spun deer into a tight deer hair body for patterns like deer hair frogs or muddler minnows. It's a bit different than the most common packing tools, but it looks like a very sturdy tool.

Note: be careful when packing. If your hand slips, you can end up with the hook in your finger.

See this video or google spun deer hair packing tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQuMupYttQ

10262.jpg

If you still don't understand what it's used for, maybe this will help.

It is used to push the thread and hair back on the hook. This packs the hair in for a more dense body.

Just be sure that you know the risk you are subjecting yourself to before you use it. Like Bruce said, you can end up with a hook in your hand/fingers. I think there's a better, perhaps safer, tool around now. It looks like a modified tweezers that have the 'tips' of the tweezers bent in toward each other. Hard to describe but it allows for them, when in use - clamping down onto a hook shank, to push the hair rearward with a surface that comes more into contact with the hair trying to be packed.

The better ones I've seen (sort of like the middle one but with a longer 'handle) are a little larger and look like they wont slip as much as you apply the pressure packing.

BCT

The ones you have pictured are the "Brassie" Brand hair packing tool ... and are okay, at best. Pat Cohen (RUSuperFly.com) came up with the "Fugly Packer" ... which is a Brassie Brand on steroids with protection from getting hooked. That is an excellent tool for the job.

The ones you have pictured are the "Brassie" Brand hair packing tool ... and are okay, at best. Pat Cohen (RUSuperFly.com) came up with the "Fugly Packer" ... which is a Brassie Brand on steroids with protection from getting hooked. That is an excellent tool for the job.

Pat's packer is the bomb. I picked up the junior and very happy with it!

It really takes the pressure for packing hair and not getting hurt.

SF%20FUGLY%20PACKER.jpg

Kimo

THAT'S the one Mike/Kimo! I didn't find it quickly when I grabbed the pic of the brass one. I really need to get one of those. Nice color of anodizing on that particular one Kimo!

Need to google Fugly Packer I see.

BCT