Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cannonx4

Trying to get organized...

My wife is a organizational nut, she makes jewelry and cards but her stuff is organized to the max. Well she has been telling me that I need to get organized to make better use of time and materials. So I started looking at different ways to get organized. First thing I thought I needed was one place to store my material. A place where when I am finished tying I can just close up and no one will see the mess I have left behind. So I started out looking for a roll top desk, but just never seen the one I thought was for me. Well I got to looking through Craigslist and found a piece of furniture that I think will work. An for only $75 bucks I don't think I got hurt, with it being a solid oak cabinet. I am planning on putting in different size plastic containers to keep my material sorted. I will add the pictures of it after I get it finished. Right now I am so tired, from toting that heavy rascal up the stairs. Organizing will have to wait till tomorrow. What you think, will it work?

FlyTyingDesk_zps5978bb19.jpg

FlyTyingdesk1_zps27030255.jpg

That looks awesome, $75 is a steal. I would almost prefer that over a roll top, I like the storage on top that can still be covered up

From the title of this thread, I intended to ask you why you should be the only one of us that is organized... but then I saw that it was really wifey. Now I fully comprehend (as Poirot would say). Most guys get relegated to a closet or basement nook, where they can be their messy self and not be an embarrassment.

But that really looks nice, and for a really great price. Is the desk part able to be pulled out? If not, you might want to make that modification... couple of drawer slides and a plywood top.

Let's see it when you get to tying and we can see all your stuff :-)

.... also you might consider painting the inside white so you can see better.

I've got a pal who modified a similar "entertainment" center...

he...

mounted hd rubber caster wheels so he can better move the unit around his finished basement / man-cave...

heavy duty ball bearing sliders to facilitate a stable pull out shelf for his work area...

installed a power strip...

lots of velcro strips on the interior of the doors and interior surfaces...

material bags are adorned with velcro dots for easy and quick access from the velcro strips...

the unit rolls into place, doors open, the work surface is pulled out, and he's ready to get to work...

closes up and rolls away when he's done...

pretty sweet system...

Yes the bottom part does have a slide that comes out, actually there are two slides. I have several ideas on how I want this thing laid out but I am open to more ideas. It will have a power strip in there but it also has a light already wired into the top. Though it's coming out and a better light put back near the front so it shines down on the tying surface. I like the idea of the velcro, I will certainly use that.

I think I see a shelf right above the slide out keyboard drawer. I would cut that shelf back so that your vise can stay mounted to the slide out part and edge areas of the cut out upper shelf could then be drilled and or posted for tool and thread holders.

I got one similar to yours a couple months ago. It is awesome. Open, tie a fly. Get done close doors walk away. Holds a lot. If I ever figure out how to post pictures I will.

You could have the wife organize your materials(hooks, feathers, fur etc.), she seems like an expert and might enjoy the challenge.

It's a BIG risk you may wish to take.

That's an awesome find! I'm in the same boat with the girlfriend complaining about finding marabou all over the house. I'll have to take a gander at Craigslist.

I have one room and my wife has the entire rest of the house.

We've been together 25 years. At some point, probably 24 years and 11 months ago, we realized we should not tell each other what we NEED to do in regards to our hobbies.....

Well as you can see I had to do a litte bit of remodeling on my desk. The storage boxes I wanted to use just wouldn't fit properly. So I tore everything out and started over again. Still have to purchase a few more boxes but so far so good. All I like now is labeling the boxes.

iQEBMMn.jpg

n1v9Wda.jpg