Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jerzfly732

recommendations for a rod and reel outfit

I am currently living in NJ doing only fresh water fly fishing. I just started about a year ago and I am hooked I barely touched my spinning and bait casting setups this year because of how much im enjoying fly fishimg. At this point though im gettimg ready to move to the wonderful outer banks of north carolina salt water fishimg heaven on the east coast lol. I want to get a decent setup for salt water now gonna be fishing for anything from fluke to blue fish speckled trout bass thinki g a 9 or 10weight in a 9 foot. Anyone have any recommendations for what to get im prob gonna be able to afford about 300-400 dollars. Evan if there isnt a outfit available some sugestions on what I should look for in a rod n reel fpr salt water so I know what to look for at the fly fishing show here in jersey in two weeks it would be greatly appreciated

Lamson makes a very good reel. One thing about them is that ALL models have the same drag system. You can get the Konic, Guru, or Lightspeed, or any other model, and the drag will perform the same way. Good drags even in the inexpensive models. You WILL need a good drag for salt water fishing.

Currently, you can get the Konic II 3.5 size for $110.00 at Amazon. The Guru starts at $189.00 I would get the Konic, and a spare spool. Leaving about $200 for the rod.

As for rods TFO makes a decent rod for the money. They start at about $120, and the Professional series in a 9 weight is $155. The BVK series are between $180, and 190.

The most important thing in any rod you get is a lifetime "no fault" warranty. No matter how you break it, it will be replaced or repaired for a nominal fee.

If you're not SURE that you are going to want to fly fish the salt water ... You can get a much less expensive outfit from one of the national retailers, BPS, Cabela's etc. You can get a rod/reel combo for a little over $100.00 and spend some time on the water with it. If you really like it, then you can go for a more expensive set up.

The only reason I am suggesting this is ... I've fished the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Fishing is fantastic when the Blues are running, or the Striped Bass are running, or the Cobia are inshore, or the big Flounder ... well, as you said, it's a fishing haven. BUT ... there is ALWAYS a wind. There are few places shallow enough for wading very far out. A lot of the fish you want to catch are more than 100 feet out, in the second or third trough, and you can't reach them with a fly rod.

Trust me ... I am NOT trying to turn you off of fly fishing ... far from it. There are TONS of intercoastal waterways that are teeming with speckled trout and other fish, but you don't need a 9 weight to fish them. And even a 9 weight is not going to stop a 30 pound Cobia when it runs for the bridge pilings.

I loved fishing there, 20+ years ago ... but I used spinning gear and bait casters ... not fly rods, most of the time.

I can second what Mike said about the surf. There are very few times when a fly rod would work. Fishing from a Kayak maybe, but that puts you off shore a little further or you stay in shore. You can't really fish the surf from a kayak, just hope to get through to the smoother water off shore a ways. I like surf fishing, and I have 4 rods that I use in surf. They are all spinning rods, 8', 9', 10'6", and 11'6" I made them all myself.

For inshore fishing for reds, and trout, an 8 weight would be enough, but I would still go with a reel with a good drag. I have 2 rods from Cabela's own line, and they work just fine. each were right around $100, and they have replacement warranties.

I second what utyer said about tfo rods. I have personally used the warranty and ordered pro deals from the factory. They have great customer service. Their gear rods are awesome too, especially since Gary Loomis is designing them.

I second what utyer said about tfo rods. I have personally used the warranty and ordered pro deals from the factory. They have great customer service. Their gear rods are awesome too, especially since Gary Loomis is designing them.

I thought Gary Loomis was helping with their spin rods, not their fly rods?

Regardless, I agree that TFO is a really good rod for the money. Least expensive warranty program in the industry as well.

I personally never liked casting heavy rods. It does sound like the wind is a major issue so a 9wt will probably be needed. I would never go to a 10wt unless you are a young and strong man. Heavy rods can lead to several physical problems that never show up with lighter rods. Long rods also contribute to these same problems but a 9' rod is probably the ideal length for salt conditions and today it is difficult to find any rod in the heavier wts. below 9' anyway. I would also recommend a Cabelas or BSP rod to start. A Konic reel and a standard WF floating line. You can always cut the front taper back a little to get more weight out on the end of the line to help fight the wind and cast large flies if needed. The reel will last for years and after you figure out what you really like and need you can upgrade if you feel the need. Most important is to remember to wash off the salt after each salt exposure. Even salt tackle in not impervious to the effects of salt. .....The reel should be large enough to hold at least 100 to 150 yards of 30# Dacron backing.

I am wondering about Spey type casting. If you can shoot into the wind with Spey or Skagit casting ... wouldn't that lend itself well to surf fishing? The distances they get with those casts ... and the lesser amount of effort to do it seems made for it.

I have two TFO outfits, one BVK 6wgt and one 10wgtAxiom. Both are very easy to cast, with the 10wgt a fast action. I fish the surf or flats and I feel fine after a morning of fishing. You will not be casting like a rapid fire drill, slow down walk and see where you want to put your next cast. My reel for the 10wgt is an older SA 10/11wgt all metal with 30lb backing, fly line for flats fishing FW10F and for surf is 10wgt Intermedate, stays under the wave action.

Wind is something to wory bout but most of my fishing down there will be in the albemarle sound where I know a good number of spots tht I can wade out a bit and also around oregon inlet. I looked on cabelas sitd n can not find anything setup for a $100 unless I misunderstood what someone was saying. I appreciatr the input the show is starting tomorrow ill be there sunday looking at my options. Is there anything special as far as the. Line goes tht I should be looking for? Is there such thing as a salt water specific fly line?

I thought Gary Loomis was helping with their spin rods, not their fly rods?

Regardless, I agree that TFO is a really good rod for the money. Least expensive warranty program in the industry as well.

You're right. its just the gear rods. I have some of them too. awesome!